Is 95 WPM good for a 11 year old?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
freephoton

Re: Individual and general typing speed

Post by freephoton » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:56 pm

So, there's another website that gives statistical feedback about your typing score in relation to others. (This one: http://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/)

At the bottom, you can see a graph whose beginning looks like this:

I would love to see something like this on 10FF. It's cool being able to know what percentile you're in, but also being able to see the full distribution would be awesome.

freephoton

Post by freephoton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Thoughts?

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:27 am

This chart should be based on wpm rather than cpm.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

radyab

I typed a few words to Bchm good ???

Post by radyab » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:19 pm

I typed a few words to Bchm good ???
In Persian

See the attached pictures, this report is my typing speed

http://downloadu.ir/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/type.png

Bitbatgaming

How fast could you type at what grade?

Post by Bitbatgaming » Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 am

For example, I will start off, I typed 60 wpm at 3rd grade. I am still the fastest typer in my school.
:!:

toddhicks209

Re: How fast could you type at what grade?

Post by toddhicks209 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 am

As a college student, I could only type about 15 words per minute. Took me forever to do term papers.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

JALUOSWA

Re: How fast could you type at what grade?

Post by JALUOSWA » Wed May 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Grade 10 (currently) 130 WPM 100% accuracy. (OK tbf that is my highest. Average is around 118 WPM)

ams

Post by ams » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Mine max 60 wpm. :D

Egorcakr

Individual and general typing speed

Post by Egorcakr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:52 am

Hey guys, so I have a hypothesis about typing speed. First, my observation:

I played a Custom Text thing recently, but all the words were arranged such that each word needed to be typed entirely with the left hand or right hand in the QWERTY layout. I found it very hard to keep my speed up: I barely managed something in the 70s of WPM. I usually can hit about 120-130 WPM. I also noticed that the best result worldwide was about 90 WPM, and I think this test has had at least over 100 people play it.

So, my hypothesis: for those who use 2 hands to type or at least have a set of keys designated to the left hand and a set of keys designated for the right hand, a keyboard layout that increases alternation of hands would lead to faster WPMs.

I also think there is some theoretical support for this. For someone who types keys with four fingers in their left hand like me, Im now using 4 fingers instead of 8 if Im typing words that do not alternate. One would expect that this would roughly half my WPM, which is exactly what happened in that Custom Text. Further, the more one alternates, the more time one allows a hand to return to the home row if a finger needed to stretch to reach a key.

I do not think it would be difficult to construct a keyboard that maximizes alternation: put the most commonly used letter in English on the right home row, the second most common on the left home row, and continue to alternate.

With this in mind, I also wonder how QWERTY and other layouts score in terms of maximizing alternation.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Hey Egorcakr,

Things are not as simple as saying "with two hands, we go twice as fast as with one hand". But yes, the more the same hand is used for the same word and the more words that use only one hand, the more it significantly impacts the typing speed.
But this is far from being the only factor having a decisive impact, in addition to the number of fingers used and the typing technique that can be very variable from one person to another.
For example, repeating the same key two times in a row slows you down enormously. Dutch and Finnish are more difficult languages ​​because of this. Or the length of words and the number of capital letters or special characters. Or simply the keyboard layout. You must also consider difficult keystrokes, either because they use weak fingers (ring and pinky), or because they are uncomfortable when the keys are very close or far away. The more fingers have to move over the long term, the harder it is, even with 10 fingers. And so on...
It is furthermore difficult to determine precisely the degree of influence of this or that factor. A large study should be done for this with many typists repeating various exercises each centered on a particular factor and comparing the results.

On 10FF, among the languages using the Latin alphabet, the most balanced is Hungarian: 49.2% left / 50.8% right. The least balanced is Catalan: 65.3% left / 34.7% right. The average imbalance is around 10%, most often in favor of the left hand. For example English: 56.5% left / 43.5% right.