Is 95 WPM good for a 11 year old?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
languidness

Re: Individual and general typing speed

Post by languidness » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:21 pm

I have to question how useful these average WPM statistics are. A lot of kids, generally in the 11-13 year old age category from what I've seen, get pretty big heads about their typing speeds. I'm sure everyone is fairly used to seeing all the "hi im 13 and type 80 wpm am i fast??" posts. And in comparison to the supposed 20-30 wpm averages for that age bracket, it's hard to dispute that they are.

But how relevant is that stat, really? Typing speed is largely determined by the availability of access to a computer. In more technologically developed areas, where the upcoming generations have ready and constant access to computers, and use computers for homework each and every day, 80 wpm is...completely standard for kids that age. I graduated from a public high school three or four years ago, and I can attest that within any given classroom, a solid half of the kids could type faster than that. It was completely normal. Sit down in a college lecture hall and watch the students taking notes on a laptop...it's easy to see that the majority of them are easily going 100 wpm+.

I'm not disputing the averages themselves, but I feel like patting kids on the back for typing 50 WPM is a bit misleading, when they come from a generation where there's no longer anything unusual about that speed.

DeRoche

Post by DeRoche » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:23 am

languidness wrote:but I feel like patting kids on the back for typing 50 WPM is a bit misleading, when they come from a generation where there's no longer anything unusual about that speed.

Seconding this. Not that we should discourage kids from trying, but there are kids online who type at comparable speeds to the fastest adults. Paymon Warasta typed the English permanent challenge (a pretty difficult quote) on Typingzone at 203 WPM, putting him at rank 4 worldwide, when he was 11 years old. Shazzy, a 14-year-old, is famous on TypeRacer for being able to type at speeds well over 200 WPM, possibly attaining a faster max speed than Sean Wrona. Typing speed, I think, has much more to do with computer access and amount of time spent on the computer than with age. As a pianist, I can attest that there are kids with incredible finger dexterity who can play the fastest pieces in the repertoire at blinding speeds, equal to the speeds attained by seasoned concert pianists. These kids lack the musicality that makes a good musician, but when it comes to typing there is no emotional nuance required, simply dexterity, and I think this is something that can be mastered at a very young age.

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:05 pm

languidness wrote:Sit down in a college lecture hall and watch the students taking notes on a laptop...it's easy to see that the majority of them are easily going 100 wpm+.

I agree with most of what you said, but the assumption that it's common to type 100+ WPM based on watching students taking notes during lectures is a stretch for me. Many typists can do bursts of 100+ WPM, but to sustain that speed over a longer period of time on unpracticed text, and especially when symbols and numbers are included, is much more difficult. These typists are definitely in the minority, also among college students.

DeRoche wrote:Paymon Warasta typed the English permanent challenge (a pretty difficult quote) on Typingzone at 203 WPM, putting him at rank 4 worldwide, when he was 11 years old. Shazzy, a 14-year-old, is famous on TypeRacer for being able to type at speeds well over 200 WPM, possibly attaining a faster max speed than Sean Wrona.

While these two are exceptional typists at any age, they are extreme exceptions from the norm, and miles above most others I've seen in this age group. The normal English result of 191 WPM, which I mentioned in a previous post, is from Paymon at the age of twelve.

As stated before, there are a number of ways to compare your typing with others, depending on the text typed, the group you are comparing yourself to and the speed attained, everything from average to world class. You are in the latter category when it comes to speed, so it's natural for you to see typing from that point of view.

John_Counter

Two Questions requires response - TypingFacts

Post by John_Counter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:08 am

Hey there guys,well,,in typing or touch typing(without using sense of sight for typing on keyboard) why 100WPM is considered as professional or mastery level?I've been practicing intensely since 6 months and I successfully reached 100 WPM speed.Back to 6 months I was typing at 35WPM of average.And now I have reached 100WPM with every possible character on keyboard.But my true average for long periods is 78WPM.I reach 100WPM in burst mode (when I'm satisfied my accuracy and concentration).
And I dont't plume,like..."Big Thing" for achieving 100WPM.
Usually high level professional can type at average of 150WPM for long periods.But still there's also a question that why,we,human just can't touch like 250WPM-300WPM or more.Regarding my focus on speed,I would say that ,we can if we practice more and more.But many people are limited to 150WPM on long periods of time and I can't get enough of it why?Exactly why?What is the obstacle limiting the speed?

So here's the total questions(Two,opted and separated the Qs for saving your time instead of reading the big text sandwich/frustration will be avoided.Otherwise read if you want to):

1. So the question is,in typing or touch typing(without using sense of sight for typing on keyboard) why 100WPM is considered as professional or mastery level?
2. Many people are limited to 150WPM on long periods of time and I can't get enough of it why?Exactly why?What is the obstacle limiting the speed?Any Medical related reason or what?

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:06 am

John_Counter wrote:1. So the question is,in typing or touch typing(without using sense of sight for typing on keyboard) why 100WPM is considered as professional or mastery level?

Numbers gets thrown around and round numbers are natural to use. You can argue that 80, 90, 100, 110 or 120 WPM is an advanced level. To come to a conclusion to what that level should be, you'll have to figure out the speed of a representative number of typists who types a reasonably long, unpracticed text. Then decide how many should be included in the advanced category, e.g. 5% or 10%. If you define advanced as the professional typists in the 90-100th percentile, the speed of the 90th percentile will be advanced. The bottom line is that this is a subjective exercise, and it depends on the text typed, the group you are examining and the top percentile used.

John_Counter wrote:2. Many people are limited to 150WPM on long periods of time and I can't get enough of it why?Exactly why?What is the obstacle limiting the speed?Any Medical related reason or what?

As in any physical and mental activity it seems human potential is limited by talent, technique and the amount of practice done. We can discuss why, where, or even if there is a limit, especially when it comes to the human mind. Many are not really aware of their true potential, and will give up, thinking it's not possible to get any better when it actually is. It's still hard to argue that there isn't a limit to physical achievement. In typing you can't type faster than you read, but it's more likely going to be limitations of the muscle memory and the movement of the fingers.

John_Counter wrote:Usually high level professional can type at average of 150WPM for long periods.

Typing unpracticed text at this speed for long periods is extreme. I can't imagine there are many of those:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typing

"As of 2005, writer Barbara Blackburn was the fastest English language typist in the world, according to The Guinness Book of World Records. Using the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard, she has maintained 150 wpm for 50 minutes, and 170 wpm for shorter periods. She has been clocked at a peak speed of 212 wpm."

http://seanwrona.com/typing.php

Sean Wrona participated in the 2010 Ultimate Typing Championship. On considerably shorter texts than Blackburn, he typed 154 WPM in the first round, 146 WPM in the second round, 157 WPM in the third round and 163 WPM in the first round of the final. In the second round of the final he typed 124 WPM on a very tough text with most of the special punctuation marks on the keyboard included.

John_Counter

Post by John_Counter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:09 pm

What's your true average?If I guess I would say 120wpm.Because true typing level is apprently Advance Mode over the Normal which doesn't include long words and also is limited to 200words instead of 1000words with long ones.Also I practice daily with average of 25,000 per day keystrokes on different sites.Sometimes 50,000 or more when I enjoy with my accuracy (Mentally positive satisfaction while typing).It's a great pain in my wrists so then I drop myself to 25,000 per day.Also I've unlocked Hard Core mode in English language.It's a great mode for increasing accuracy as it ends if wrong word is typed and then space bar is pressed.By the way thanks for info. :)

RustyZ

15 year old typing

Post by RustyZ » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 pm

So I'm only 15 years old, and I can type up to 124 words per minute, making little to no mistakes, sometimes no mistakes at all. I'd like some feedback on my skills as a teenager. http://10fastfingers.com/user/933846/

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:31 am

Your typing skills are exemplary, Rusty. I wish I could be half as good as you.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

Yaar Khan

Max Possible speed...

Post by Yaar Khan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey all ,
As the title says what is the max possible typing speed that a person can achieve( no cheats ) ? just curious..
i have been trying to get to 100 wpm but i find it hard , the max i could reach is 98 wpm . i see people reaching up to 190 wpm , is that even possible ?

ZappX

Re: Max Possible speed...

Post by ZappX » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Yaar Khan wrote:Hey all ,
As the title says what is the max possible typing speed that a person can achieve( no cheats ) ? just curious..
i have been trying to get to 100 wpm but i find it hard , the max i could reach is 98 wpm . i see people reaching up to 190 wpm , is that even possible ?

It's difficult to know what the potential maximum speed is. Only a few typists have legitimately reached speeds of 200+ WPM. The highest score is 220 WPM, achieved in the English normal mode by Sean Wrona. I think this record will stand for a long time and is going to be extremely tough to beat, even by Sean himself.