Clumsy hands

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Danegraphics

Clumsy hands

Post by Danegraphics » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Well, I've got clumsy hands. when I type, or even when I play piano, my fingers have the unfortunate habit of "walking off" by themselves. I'll go to write (or play) something and my finger go to a different key than the key that I'm targetting.

Now, my average typing speed accoding to the tests is about 55 words per minute, but the issue is that I spend about 40% of the time correcting the mistakes of my clumsy hands. This also applies to when I'm typing normally (without a text of nonsensical words to enter). I know that by the number of keys that I type per minute that my writing speed should be something like 65 or 70 words per minute if not much more.

It's because of this horrible clumsiness that I am almost forced to look at the keyboard while I write to make sure that my fingers are arriving in the right place, and even then, they go off track. This also affects my test score greatly. I'm a proessional programmer and a musician, but these clumsy fingers slow down my progress a great deal.

It's strange because my hands almost always feel uncomfortable and irritated in any and all positions, and so they "twitch" off track, or resist cartain simple poses when I want to be able to write cleany and smoothly. (we can call it Restless Finger Syndrome)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to improve my typing accuracy and speed (preferably acuracy first because the speed will automatically follow), and get control of my clumsy fingers?
Last edited by Danegraphics on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanto-Dream

Re: Clumsy hands

Post by Kanto-Dream » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Here's a link of my profile: http://10fastfingers.com/user/223009/
I also have very clumsy hands, and my average is something between 130-135WPM. I can reach hardly 139 and higher, but only because I'm "quite" "fast".

I mean, at each test, I do something like 20, 30, or even 40 mistakes, that's why I can hardly get 140+WPM.
If I didn't do any mistake, or only 2-3, I would be at 160-170WPM.

I don't think this is really due to a particular syndrom, but our indinstinctness, so maybe the only solution is to type even slower, to make less mistakes.. I often try to do this, but I don't know why, this doesn't matter, I do the same amount of mistakes, for less correct words...

Maybe we aren't made for typing

TheUltimate11YrOld

Post by TheUltimate11YrOld » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 pm

I have the same problem, If I didn't I could reach 125 WPM by now, but...Every time I get going very fast, I start doing that, and pausing for about 1 - 2 seconds, which really affects my WPM.

Danegraphics

Post by Danegraphics » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Well, I think I've found a few things that are helping me a lot. I posted them over in the "Typing Tips" thread.