Using CAPS LOCK instead of SHIFT??

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
overthetop

Using CAPS LOCK instead of SHIFT??

Post by overthetop » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Hey guys,

I write a lot of code every day and the main problem that I'm facing is writing capital letters in the words that I'm typing.
Something like: var giveMeThatVar = this.ShowMeTheVarsThatINeedToKnow();
Is it really worth it to get used to CAPS LOCKS? I just want to speed up my coding as much as I can...
Did someone here tried that thing? Hope that there are coders around here :).

Soner

Re: Using CAPS LOCK instead of SHIFT??

Post by Soner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm

It payed off for me and I would recommend this technique. Sean Wrona explained it as follows:

"I really just hit caps lock twice, once before and after the capital letter. It's actually faster for me than holding down and releasing shift AND more accurate. Really, it amounts to the same thing in my view. Pressing a single key (Caps Lock) twice does not exert any more effort than pushing the shift key and later releasing it, which similarly requires two motions."
Last edited by Soner on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overthetop

Post by overthetop » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Soner wrote:It payed out for me and I would recommend this technique. Sean Wrona explained it as follows:

"I really just hit caps lock twice, once before and after the capital letter. It's actually faster for me than holding down and releasing shift AND more accurate. Really, it amounts to the same thing in my view. Pressing a single key (Caps Lock) twice does not exert any more effort than pushing the shift key and later releasing it, which similarly requires two motions."

Hi Soner,

what do you think about using Sticky Keys? It's a lot easier... Do you think this can cause me some problems of any kind?

Soner

Post by Soner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

not payed out, I wanted to write pay off*. I've never tried Sticky Keys.

overthetop

Post by overthetop » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:56 am

Soner wrote:not payed out, I wanted to write pay off*. I've never tried Sticky Keys.

Have you tried programmers dvorak? I really hate the numbers rearrangement...

Soner

Post by Soner » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am

I read of it but I haven't tried. I'm actually using the regular Dvorak layout, which has increased my accuracy and speed significantly on various tests.

overthetop

Post by overthetop » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 am

I think that I will stick with the Shift for now.

Kid Typer

Post by Kid Typer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 am

Just like Sean Wrona I use caps lock. I find it easier, quicker and more accurate to use.

spiffytippy

Don't adapt to faulty tech, just change it

Post by spiffytippy » Wed May 28, 2014 1:19 pm

how about just switching the key functions?

autohotkey is a program, it can be run without admin rights, to change key functions or add macros.

i swapped
CapsLock as Shift
Shift as Control
Control as CapsLock

Just like the truly ergonomic keyboard. Shift is in the home row. it is used most often. Control is also important, used for all shortcuts and therefore promoted into the bottom row. Caps is used nearly never and banished to the edge.

Works nicely after adapting a few days. ;)

Drayken

Post by Drayken » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Using shift is faster for me. I have very flexible fingers and I always have my left hand placed in WASD fashion since I'm an FPS Gamer, therefore my pinky finger has developped a better reach towards SHIFT and CTRL.