Using CAPS LOCK instead of SHIFT??

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Barkie

Re: Using CAPS LOCK instead of SHIFT??

Post by Barkie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Drayken wrote:Using shift is faster for me. I have very flexible fingers and I always have my left hand placed in WASD fashion since I'm an FPS Gamer, therefore my pinky finger has developped a better reach towards SHIFT and CTRL.

Same here, I've tried the caps lock but I find using shift a lot better.

premieritzone

Re: Don't adapt to faulty tech, just change it

Post by premieritzone » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:14 am

spiffytippy wrote:how about just switching the key functions?

autohotkey is a program, it can be run without admin rights, to change key functions or add macros.

i swapped
CapsLock as Shift
Shift as Control
Control as CapsLock

Just like the truly ergonomic keyboard. Shift is in the home row. it is used most often. Control is also important, used for all shortcuts and therefore promoted into the bottom row. Caps is used nearly never and banished to the edge.

Works nicely after adapting a few days. ;)

i dont understand how you can control the keys

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:14 am

I find it easier to hit the caps lock key then hit a letter key then hit the caps lock key again instead of holding down a shift key and typing a letter.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

teilo

Post by teilo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm an old school IBM keyboard guy (on a Mac now, but whatever) and cannot live without my Caps Lock key being Ctrl.

But I am intrigued by the idea of changing my Shift key to Caps Lock. It will have to be the Right-Shift key, however, since I need left shift to stay right were it is for Emacs. I'll have to try that with Karabiner and see how it goes.