How to change my typing habits ?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Arcanagos

How to change my typing habits ?

Post by Arcanagos » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi everyone !

I'm new on this site ; here from one week now. I'm french, and I type at around 100-110 WPM (in french). Todays record : http://10fastfingers.com/speedtests/gen ... 6_107_6167

I'm 18 and I didn't learn how to type "correctly". I just type without thinking about it. I see that in one week, I was able to go from 85 WPM to 113, which is quite better. But I would want to become even faster. 120 would be cool, 150 awesome, and more would be just incredible.

I realised that I type akwardly. I almost use only one finger one my right hand, but all of the fingers on my left hand, which does never move during typing.

I guess videogames taught me a wrong way of typing fast.

So my question is simple : is there a way to change his habits ? Exercices, or other stuff ?

I don't think I can improve my typing very much if I keep typing with only one finger one my right hand.

Other weird thing is that, if I type not fast, it happends that I use all of my fingers of my right hand too sometimes. But it comes by itself. I cannot control it. It's a reflex.

So if you have any ideas or advices that I could apply, it would be nice :)

Thanks for your help, Cya !

Kanto-Dream

Re: How to change my typing habits ?

Post by Kanto-Dream » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 pm

There are many people who type with the whole left hand, but only with one finger with the right hand.

Some of them can even reach 150+

The common point between all these people is that they all pley videogames, and their right hand isn't really activec because it shall use the mouse, and it isn't use to type.

So I think the only way you can type with your whole fingers is to force yourself to type with the right hand. Even if your score can get to something like 40-50, you will be able to type 100+ in a week if you train enough.
And even more faster then, probably to 120+, but you'll have to train for a while

To get even better scores.. Training, training, and training is the key!

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi and welcome Arcanagos. :)

If you type in French, this thread could possibly interest you. ^^

Arcanagos

Post by Arcanagos » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks for the advices/informations !

I'll try to fully use my right hand. I'm not sure I'm really able to do it, but I'll give it a try by starting really slow. I'm so much used to use only one finger...

And yes, I'll send a request to join the french typists facebook group :p

Linkbane

Post by Linkbane » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm

I highly doubt that anyone could type over 130 wpm with six fingers. In QWERTY, because the layout favors the left hand, it's easier, but really just practicing and slowing down with both hands will help you in probably less then two weeks. Since learning Dvorak, reaching an about 150 average so far has required a lot of technique optimization and practice, all of which stack up to be significant.

hordak

Post by hordak » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:04 am

Curious, is there a video of someone typing with 6 fingers at 100+ wpm? I can't quite believe you could type that fast without 10 fingers. I myself use 10 fingers and plateau at around 65 wpm.

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:36 am

<deleted>