Tests too easy?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
thejaywalker

Tests too easy?

Post by thejaywalker » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:19 am

I score about 15 WPM faster when I type on 10 fast fingers than I do on any other online typing test... Seems cool at the time, but is it really a good thing?

Stanfyre

Re: Tests too easy?

Post by Stanfyre » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Try the advanced test. On other websites I get about the same as I do on the advanced tests so I think the normal test is the one that is easy.

Andymius

Post by Andymius » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:58 pm

replace
Last edited by Andymius on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Athon

Post by Stephen Athon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:36 am

A candid observation. True, 10fastfingers does seem to "inflate" your typing speed, and the reasons are obvious. For one, the regular test only incorporates a vocabulary of 200 words, which allows you to eventually memorize all of them by muscle memory. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I look at this site as one of the tools in my bag. It allows me to focus on pure speed and efficiency per word. The raw speed you can gain from these tests can translate to improved real-life typing scenarios that include a larger vocabulary and punctuation.

I do strongly recommend the advanced tests. They will make you a better typist by challenging you with more words.

Danegraphics

Post by Danegraphics » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:52 pm

What 10fastfingers does, at least in the regular typing test, is use 200 of the most common words of whatever language you're typing in. They are mostly very common words that you type all the time, hence the increase in speed.

The advanced typing test, on the other hand, includes 1000 of the most common words of your language, which means that there are much fewer words that you type frequently when you take the advanced test. It's got a much more "normal" word difficulty distribution.

alexiusczar

Post by alexiusczar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 am

still related today. multiplayer tests are really easy but less impractical compared to some site like typeracer. they really need to update the site or advertise more at least.