Who doesn't use "Home Row" touch typing?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Sforzato

Who doesn't use "Home Row" touch typing?

Post by Sforzato » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 am

When I was a kid, they tried to teach me to type using "Home Row" where in your pointer fingers rest on the "F" and "J" keys, corresponding to your left and right hands, respectively. I wasn't interested in computers until we got AOL 4.0 in my home, and around 6.0 I discovered the chat room feature and began my "Hunt and Peck" career until I'd learned enough shorthand to hybridize.

Right now, as I type this post, I'm watching my hands to try and figure out how exactly I type. I can't type too slowly, or I start making positions which are unnatural to me, but if I type too fast it's hard to figure out which keys I use.

I think my style is more fluid. My right hand dominates the majority of the keyboard, ranging from the r-f-v row outwards, but depending on the word(s) I'm typing and the keys I'm pressing, sometimes my left pointer and middle finger press keys my right hand would press.

The fingers I use the least are my pinkies, which are generally reserved for the function keys (shift, ctrl, alt, enter, etc...). The ones I use the most are my index fingers and my right middle finger. I'm not sure which fingers dominate which keys, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many keys which I press exclusively with just one finger.

If there are any typing "experts" on these boards who could tell me about my typing by viewing a recording of that typing in action, I'd be more than enthusiastic to take a basic test and upload it to youtube.

jallis

Re: Who doesn't use "Home Row" touch typing?

Post by jallis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I know this says who DOESN'T use the Home Row method, but since there seems to be very few that actually uses this method on these sites, I feel like I should report that I am actually using this method. I have also said on some other topics on this forum that I mean you should also do the change I did 2 months ago if you type less than 80 WPM averaging.

If you want to find out what fingers you use on which key, I would say that for you, there is probably not any easy way to find out. I am going to assume that you're using different fingers depending on your hand position.

I also feel like mentioning that in the two months I have been using this method I have gotten to an average of 78 in my main langauge from scratch. I used to only use around 3 fingers on each hand, while now I use every finger on each hand, except my left thumb, since I cannot find any use for it.

Sforzato

Post by Sforzato » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Highest WPM: 113
Lowest WPM: 102

http://10fastfingers.com/user/270728/

I'm also surpassing 100 WPM on the advanced. But I'm a new member etc so my records are newish.

jallis

Post by jallis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 am

Well, from the standpoint of converting, you're fine. In all honesty, unless you're going for a world record, you don't need to type any faster as long as you can reach 100 wpm easily. Of course, if you want to, then be my guest :D