What to do with the right pinky ?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Arctan

What to do with the right pinky ?

Post by Arctan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently improved a lot in typing as I didn't even know how to type without looking at my keyboard until a few week ago. However, I really feel slowed by my right-hand pinky. I have seen many fast typers not using it at all. But that would mean the ring finger has tons of work and loses in accuracy. So my question is, what do you use this finger for ? Thanks in advance.

Linsk

Re: What to do with the right pinky ?

Post by Linsk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:11 am

Hello Arctan,

I don't know which keyboard layout you use, but for Qwerty, the pinky can be used for all the yellow keys below:

Arctan

Post by Arctan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Hello Linsk,

Thanks for your reply. I indeed learnt to type with this layout but I don't think it's the best (for me). I'm French so I often need to press P, M, ù and ^ and it's very slow with the right pinky. Wouldn't it make more sense to reduce the use of it and use the ring finger instead, at least for some keys such as P and M ?

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:55 pm

Indeed, if you're French, Azerty will be better. I'm French too, and I use the pinky only for "ù", Shift and Enter keys. I type "p", "m" and "^" with the middle finger.

What makes more sense is to do what is easiest for you, taking into account that the easiest is not always the most effective. Sometimes a change that doesn't seem practical at first sight may be more judicious with practice.

For example, before I typed "ù" with the middle finger, knowing that it was not ideal but I had never done otherwise. One day I decided to use my pinky instead. At first it slowed me down, but after a few days of training I was used to it and it was beneficial.

You don't necessarily have to do like someone else. You must find and choose by yourself what suits you. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but you have to really try if you want to know.

Arctan

Post by Arctan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:10 pm

Yes, I need to try everything. However, you said you used the middle finger for "p", "m" and "^" but what do you use your ring finger for then ?

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Well, I never use my right ring finger in French except for the backspace key. However, sometimes I use it in other languages (like Russian or Hindi), in some specific cases.

Arctan

Post by Arctan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Oh. And you still manage to type so fast. That's impressive :)

ANGRYPWNER

Post by ANGRYPWNER » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:41 pm

I use qwerty, but I could ask the same question. I realize that the right pinkie is there for easy access to the P, but especially in the 10FF typing tests, that is the only time it's ever used. I've often found myself speeding through a test and then completely fumbling when I get to a word like "important", because my right pinkie is so weak from never moving.

Can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to have my right ring finger in charge of the P key instead? It might be weird to get used to, of course, but would it be better than struggling with my pinkie in the long run?

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am

Use your right pinky to hit the P, ; and ' keys and use the fourth finger on your right hand to hit the L key. Use the second finger on your right hand to hit the M key.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com