Anyone else using Kazantsev fingering?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
teilo

Anyone else using Kazantsev fingering?

Post by teilo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:46 am

After spending 20 years on Dvorak and learning Colemak a couple years back, I finally decided, for the first time, to learn Qwerty. This gave me the opportunity to unlearn some bad habits.

However, when I did this, I learned using a modified hand/home position which I learned of from here: http://typingsoft.com/typing.htm.

Basically, the Kazantsev method turns any normal keyboard into an egonomic keyboard. Your home row is SDFV NJKL. You reach with your pinkys for A and semi-colon. T and Y become easier reaches, and G and H are more comfortable, since vertical moves are generally more natural than lateral moves.

It took some getting used to, but I can now match, and generally exceed my speed on Dvorak.

Does anyone else have any experience with this method?

domsch1988

Re: Anyone else using Kazantsev fingering?

Post by domsch1988 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm

i gave it a go.
First of, note that i use a Ergonomic Keyboard (MS Sculpt). I actually do find the home position quiet comfortable. A bit more than the standard position. And i must say that it never really occurred to me to shift into this position.

My Problems are, that shifts and Backspace are much harder to reach. Especially the shift keys are really a stretch for the pinky's. As I'm native German, Capitalization is much more used than in English, making the shift keys more frequently used ones. Also the reach for the numbers is much further away. So for me, the cases where i leave my home position increase with this layout.

I think, since i'm already using an ergonomic keyboard, the benefits are much less than if you wouldn't.

teilo

Re: Anyone else using Kazantsev fingering?

Post by teilo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:29 pm

I have longer fingers, so perhaps the reach is not so much a concern for me.

The shift keys were certainly the biggest challenge. However, Kazantsev forced me to start alternating shift keys. In the past I used only the left-shift. Now, for the first two columns of letter, at least, I naturally use the right-shift. Also, with my hands always in an angled position, I find myself using arm movements to reach for Shift, instead of wrist movements. That further improves the ergonomics.

I tried Sean Wrona's method of using only Caps lock. I could never get used to it, so finally gave it up.

Backspace was never an issue, and I don't find numbers any more difficult than before. If anything, numbers are easier, because overall, I have a much better feel for which keys I am hitting, because my hands are closer together.