Is it worth to learn touch typing ? (140 wpm with 6 fingers)

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
LearnPHPaz

Is it worth to learn touch typing ? (140 wpm with 6 fingers)

Post by LearnPHPaz » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:01 pm

Hello guys !

I'm new to this forum so hi everyone ! I just created this topic to ask you a question. Is it worth to learn touch typing when you already type at 140 wpm with 3 fingers on each hand ? (2 fingers on each hand without the thumb). I precise that I am 12 years old so maybe if i learn it now, it will be easier later. Do you guys have advices about this ?

Thank you :)

Brokenmind

Re: Is it worth to learn touch typing ? (140 wpm with 6 fing

Post by Brokenmind » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:34 pm

Do you mean you get to 140WPM without touch typing?

When I started typing (not as young as you), I never had so much as a system and now I'm at ~150WPM as well. It's not that other people evaluate you on the way how you type, at least that's not my experience. As long as it doesn't restrict you in whatever you want to do (world class chatting?), I don't think you need to switch the technique.
_________.../\¯¯¯\/\¯¯¯\
__________/_.\___\-\___\
__________\_./.__/_/___/
_________...\/_/\¯\/___/
_________....../...\___\
_________......\.../___/
at last!_______-\/___/_______.Typing profile on 10ff

LearnPHPaz

Post by LearnPHPaz » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:45 pm

Thank you for your answer, Brokenmind, i totally agree with you :) Let's see if others people have advices or opinions ^^

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:24 am

If your technique works for you, stick with it as long as it doesn't strain your fingers or wrists.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

LearnPHPaz

Post by LearnPHPaz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:30 am

Thank you for your answer toddhicks209, do you think when i'll be older it could be negative for my hand joints or whatever ?

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:19 am

I don't know. I just hope that you keep your wrists parallel to the desk and that you don't hit the keys too hard.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

Shigakure

Post by Shigakure » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:06 pm

I don't know exactly what you mean, but I used to type with 2 fingers (one each hand), and I just recently changed to 9 (all except for the left thumb), my problem and something that frustrates me a lot it's that I should've started when I was your age, because I started typing at around 9-10 years old (11 years ago), only using my two index fingers, and about a year ago I was able to make 145 wpm typing that way, so it was really really fast for two fingers, but I started about a month and a half ago typing with basically all my fingers, and I haven't practiced like crazy, but I already got 138 wpm, although I'm not used entirely to my ring fingers and my pinkies.

I'm confident I'll reach 160 in less than 5 months, at least I expect that, maybe in two years or around that time lapse, I could even reach 180-190 (I've seen people done it), I did this because I often play games related to typing with friends, very fun games, in fact, there are three players who type 200+, two of them with 205 in spanish (world record), and well, one of them types with 6 fingers and the other one with 9, I consider 9 will give the advantage at your maximum level, and since you are young, I totally recommend you to do that (if that is what you are asking) :)