This Or That?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Tempting

This Or That?

Post by Tempting » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Should I either try learning the keys perfectly to type any word fast, or learn the finger motions for the most common words. Or just learn both naturally.

I don't know if this changes the answer, but I use the Dvorak keyboard, so since a can't look at the keys, it could change the answer.

toddhicks209

Re: This Or That?

Post by toddhicks209 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:39 am

The first thing you should do is memorize the keyboard. I'm not sure what you mean by learning finger motions for common words but I can give you an example of what to do in some cases. To type "turn", stretch the second finger on your left hand to hit the T key while leaving your other fingers in place, stretch the second finger on your right hand to hit the U key while leaving your other fingers in place and use the third finger on your left hand to hit the R key.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

Tempting

Post by Tempting » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 pm

toddhicks209 wrote:The first thing you should do is memorize the keyboard. I'm not sure what you mean by learning finger motions for common words but I can give you an example of what to do in some cases. To type "turn", stretch the second finger on your left hand to hit the T key while leaving your other fingers in place, stretch the second finger on your right hand to hit the U key while leaving your other fingers in place and use the third finger on your left hand to hit the R key.

A few things I should clear up.
-I use the Dvorak keyboard so the t you were talking about is actually the y key :lol:
-I can type 90 WPM, and know the correct way to stretch fingers

I just wanted to know if I should try to use muscle memory to the point where when I see a word, my fingers already know the motions without having to know the letters. The other option, learning each key separately meant learning where all the letters were even better, so typing a new word shouldn't be hard.

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:46 am

Hi and welcome here Tempting,

I would answer "both". If you want to be able to type any new word, you need anyway to know perfectly where each key is located. If you want to type a specific word as fast and accurately as possible, you are free to take the time to study in detail the optimal motion that it requires for you (which is done anyway by your brain naturally, as soon as you type the word at multiple times, so you get a choice: exercise yourself on this word to speed up the process or wait until your brain gets used to it, mixed with other words). This is the practice that will anchor a muscle memory for that particular word.

Hoping to have answered your question. ^^

Happy new typing year!

Tempting

Post by Tempting » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Linsk wrote:Hi and welcome here Tempting,

I would answer "both". If you want to be able to type any new word, you need anyway to know perfectly where each key is located. If you want to type a specific word as fast and accurately as possible, you are free to take the time to study in detail the optimal motion that it requires for you (which is done anyway by your brain naturally, as soon as you type the word at multiple times, so you get a choice: exercise yourself on this word to speed up the process or wait until your brain gets used to it, mixed with other words). This is the practice that will anchor a muscle memory for that particular word.

Hoping to have answered your question. ^^

Happy new typing year!

Thanks for the help, I finally got the keys down, and can do 95-110WPM, so I'll work on accuracy now.