Improving beyond 120 WPM: Dvorak? 10 fingers?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Arrrr

Improving beyond 120 WPM: Dvorak? 10 fingers?

Post by Arrrr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Hello,

I've been typing on 10fastfingers for quite a while now, but never actually registered. My WPM average around 130-140 in German (record around 160) and 120-130 (~150) in English.

I am looking for a way to improve my typing speed. My wrists tend to hurt a bit from time to time (carpal tunnel syndrome, I'm also a musician.. :| ), so I think using a different approach might also help with that a little.

At the moment, I am just using 6 of my fingers frequently when typing, my ring - and little fingers are mostly idle except for capital letters and other exceptions.. so I do not really have a "system"; I just type along. Also, I am using the German QWERTZ layout, which is not too good when it comes to typing in English. :D

Do any of you have experiences with actually learning to type with 10 fingers, or switching to the DVORAK Layout? The fact that my WPM are already okay makes it really hard for me to learn another approach, as it would surely slow me for a while, and I am not too sure if there will be actual improvements.

Best Wishes,
Arrrr