English test is too easy compared to other languages.

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
wat11

English test is too easy compared to other languages.

Post by wat11 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:17 am

Regular English test is just too damn easy. It contains a lot of short easy words. Russian test, for example, is a lot harder in comparison. I'm a native Russian speaker and I score higher in English than in Russian...

toddhicks209

Re: English test is too easy compared to other languages.

Post by toddhicks209 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 am

In that case, it would be nice for some of the English tests to be harder. There should be an equal combination of easy, intermediate and difficult tests in all languages.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

Post by 2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:10 pm

I am not sure what you are trying to say.
This is of course your opinion, but there is an advanced typing test for English.

..if it is easy, try to reach top 3.
Maybe you can try to give yourself some challenge to make you a better or faster typists?
Seems like you are on a good way already!

Good luck :)

carryt

Post by carryt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:49 am

try another language test? :lol:

wat11

Post by wat11 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 am

2014 wrote:I am not sure what you are trying to say.
This is of course your opinion, but there is an advanced typing test for English.

..if it is easy, try to reach top 3.
Maybe you can try to give yourself some challenge to make you a better or faster typists?
Seems like you are on a good way already!

Good luck :)

I was talking about regular text and I'm not bragging or anything, just suggesting that 200 words English test should be filled with a bit longer and complicated words. If you will try-harding 200 words test over and over again, you'll eventually get an inflated result that is way above your real typing speed because those words are easy to remember. Maybe it has something to do with the nature of the English language (short words), but, for example, French regular text looks as hard as 1000 words English text :)

freephoton

Post by freephoton » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe the main typing test is simply the top 200 most commonly used words in the language. It wouldn't make sense to include longer words, because those words wouldn't be from the top 200. It's probably just the nature of the language that English has easier words, in your opinion/experience.

Also, it is true that practicing these over and over again will improve your speed well above your speed elsewhere, but that's true for any set of words that you practice over and over. Eventually it all blurs into muscle memory.

And, to be honest, having a bunch of common words in my muscle memory is really nice, and has definitely improved my overall speed on other texts. :P