Typing tips

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
languidness

Re: Typing tips

Post by languidness » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:04 am

toddhicks209 wrote:When typing words that start with or end in "tes", "ges", "gues" or "ves" combinations, you should hit the "E" key with the 4th finger on your left hand and hit the "S" key with your left pinkie. Type: test states stages guess plagues vest slaves

...Why? That feels completely cramped and uncomfortable, especially on words like "states" that have an "a" as well. Rapidly shifting your pinky back and forth between "a" and "s" feels really awkward.

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 am

I always find sliding my pinkie over to be natural but it's up to you if you want to use your fourth finger to hit both the "E" key and the "S" key.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

languidness

Post by languidness » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:06 am

toddhicks209 wrote:I always find sliding my pinkie over to be natural but it's up to you if you want to use your fourth finger to hit both the "E" key and the "S" key.

"E" key with middle finger, not fourth finger...

That's how pretty much everyone does it.

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:54 am

Once you hit the T, G or V keys, you will be less likely to make an error if you use your fourth finger to hit the E key instead of your third finger for words with "TE", "GE" and "VE" combinations.

languidness

Post by languidness » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:30 am

toddhicks209 wrote:Once you hit the T, G or V keys, you will be less likely to make an error if you use your fourth finger to hit the E key instead of your third finger for words with "TE", "GE" and "VE" combinations.

I have to disagree. With the frequency of words with "a" succeeding "e" such as great, leaf, team, etc. the fact that I have to shift my entire hand over to accommodate pressing "e" with my fourth finger, then shift it back to type the "a," I don't see this working out at all, granted I'm obviously more used to the standard set-up. Nonetheless, this constant hand-shifting doesn't feel intuitive at all.

I guess if it works for you, then it works for you, and I shouldn't butt in. Definitely a tip that isn't for everyone, though.

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:26 am

After you hit the T, G or V keys with the second finger on your left hand, your fourth finger is hovering over the E key ready to hit it. If you decide to use your third finger, there's a high chance that you will hit the R key or hit the R and E keys at the same time.

languidness

Post by languidness » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:30 pm

toddhicks209 wrote:After you hit the T, G or V keys with the second finger on your left hand, your fourth finger is hovering over the E key ready to hit it. If you decide to use your third finger, there's a high chance that you will hit the R key or hit the R and E keys at the same time.

Valid, but the frequency of "ea" words leads me to believe that the necessity of the pinky shift would ultimately cause more inconvenience than it would save. But again, to each his own.

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 am

After doing this shift, you can easily get your hands back to the normal position and resume typing. If you always stay in your comfort zone and don't give tips that can help you improve a try, you can only go so far. The tip I have just given is part of touch typing (i.e. hitting all keys with the right fingers in all situations).

languidness

Post by languidness » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:04 pm

toddhicks209 wrote:After doing this shift, you can easily get your hands back to the normal position and resume typing. If you always stay in your comfort zone and don't give tips that can help you improve a try, you can only go so far. The tip I have just given is part of touch typing (i.e. hitting all keys with the right fingers in all situations).

I don't consider this an overall favorable shift. You're delegating more key-presses and finger shifts to your pinky/4th finger, which, as the weaker fingers, have in my experience always been my more typo-prone ones. I do see this being a favorable shift for words like "tree" and "greet," but definitely an unfavorable shift for words like "league" and "greatness."

Additionally, loading on extra, circumstantial finger patterns is the last thing your usual typist should be doing to improve. Sean Wrona is gifted with a ridiculous capability and affinity for such tasks, but the rest of us aren't.

Fast typing leans heavily on familiarity and comfort with both the keyboard and the words being typed, and, in general, efforts should be made to increase this familiarity, not to introduce new variables that further complicate things.

Out of curiosity, how quickly do you actually type?

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:54 am

45-50 wpm