Typing tips

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Dengue

Re: Typing tips

Post by Dengue » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 am

less about technique and more about the neurological aspect - try to look ahead of what you are typing. it is the one single thing i remind myself whenever i find myself slowing down

jallis

Post by jallis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I would suggest changing your typing technique if you are at low speeds(I would say that's less than 80). Now, you might throw in the argument that that will not give you the perfect technique, because Sean for example, doesn't type perfect. Well, that would be correct, but one major reason for changing would be to type with more fingers. That will alwasy be faster. Of course, from there you can develop to any technique using that many fingers(like a certain known "Sean Wrona"). I went from using 6 finger to the homerow and using 9. I've caught up to my previous speed of the 60s in just a couple of weeks, maybe a month.

Other than the tip I gave above this, there is no real thing to do other than to practise a lot. Practise is the only thing that makes people as fast as they are, but a good tip would be "correct practise is the best practise" that is pointing back to the finger thingy. Think about this: Sean Wrona, known as the fastest, or one of them, typist in the world, used 25 years of training with the homerow method to get to his speed. Of course, he is not using the "perfect" homerow method, but he is pretty close.

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jallis

Post by jallis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Well, I suppose you are right about the part of him "training" for 25 years. What I meant was he had been typing for that long. Also, about the question you made "can you force yourself to type with more fingers?". Yes. Yes you can. I have just gone from 6 to 9, and I didn't use my pinkys at all before the switch. It might seem a bit hard, but what I did was to type really slowly for a while until I was used to the new method. Basically, instead of using my middle fingers for most of the typing, I forced myself to use the index fingers that I barely were using before a lot more. I just had to think before I typed until it came naturally.

Alethea

Post by Alethea » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

jallis wrote: Also, about the question you made "can you force yourself to type with more fingers?". Yes. Yes you can. I have just gone from 6 to 9, and I didn't use my pinkys at all before the switch. It might seem a bit hard, but what I did was to type really slowly for a while until I was used to the new method.

For some reason I can't force myself to use more than six fingers, I'm left-handed and so I just use my right hand to reach letters like o-p-j-k-l-n-m. I don't know how to change this force of habit, and I feel that it's limiting me a lot seeing as it's almost just like typing with one hand. I have tried using websites that offer guidelines on how to improve it but to no use - would love some advice from someone who considers themself an "experienced" typer. :?

... Oh, and I'm usually ranging between 115-128 WPM with a record of 134. I know it's not low, but I'd still love to improve.

I hate how emotions affect the way I type, I always drop 30-40 WPM of my speed whenever I'm feeling down...

Profile: http://10fastfingers.com/user/274458/

Enemy

tips on 120+?

Post by Enemy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm constantly stuck at 115-117, Qwerty English. Any tips for achieving 120+?

LARSSS

Post by LARSSS » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:31 pm

@alethea.

Logout from 10fastfingers, and do some tests while you are using more fingers. These tests won't be shown on your profile then. Im using my right hand for u-i-o-p, h-j-k-l, n-m I think... and the Y is always a question to me.. comes randomly.
So I'm also using my left hand mostly, left thumb for spacebar as well. Anyways type how you feel comfortable but if you want to improve I guess you have to use at least 3 more keys with right hands and you have to get used to this.

Btw I'm right handed and typing mostly with left :P

@enemy

Type words where you have difficulty with on Microsoft Word a few times, I have done this with a couple of words and you really get the feeling then how to type it. with words like "through" and "Indian". If I am thinking about how to type that, it will go wrong. But because I know the feeling they will be correct quite often.
Further, stay calm while typing, that will give the best results after all.

Good luck both ! :)

jallis

Post by jallis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:12 pm

If you want to change to, well, let's say the homerow method like I did, you would have to force yourself to type slowly. This can be pretty hard for you, since you're as fast as you are, but in the end, it might just be worth it. You will have to type down to 10 words a minute for like 50-60 tests or so before you start going up in speed, and while you're doing this, you're gonna force yourself to type with homerow (or any other way you would like to type) and eventually you're going to forget the old way of typing, and the homerow will become natural. For me, this took around a week or so, but after that I started going up in speed by a lot, and within a month I had reached my previous speed. Now I have surpassed my previous scores with around 15-20 WPM.

Whether or not you want to do this is up to yourself, but to me it was really helpful. The main thing that I noticed after a while was that I have so much more control over the keyboard, because I don't "guess" the same way I did before when I was pressing a key. I always rest the keys on the same place, so it is a lot easier for me to learn how to move my fingers to get to that certain key. Especially since I'm always at the same starting position.

I am almost at a 100 peak speed (my highest in Norwegian is 99, lol) and before I started with homerow I had a peak speed of around 75. In foreign languages I used to only get to around 40 WPM, while now I seem to be able to get up to 60-70 with no problem.

esapzai

Post by esapzai » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 pm

My highest is 95 wpm , doing my best to make it to 100.

I hope I make it.
Any tips for a 5+?

Thanks in advance.

Alethea

Post by Alethea » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Sooo happy!~

I started listening to music while typing and I just beat the record on my profile! :3 I had no clue it could make such a huge difference, and I even got a 128 WPM with no misspelled words! :shock:

I hate how emotions affect the way I type, I always drop 30-40 WPM of my speed whenever I'm feeling down...

Profile: http://10fastfingers.com/user/274458/