Typing tips

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
HankelBao

Keyboard Switches and Speed

Post by HankelBao » Mon May 21, 2018 11:45 am

I love the feeling of red switches and can type around 90WPM but the accuracy is only around 90%.
How did you guys type more accurately on red switches?
Or what switches do you think are the most comfortable and suitable for fast typing?

Viggo

Re: Typing tips

Post by Viggo » Mon May 21, 2018 11:54 pm

I regularly get around 150 WPM and my PR is 162 WPM and I'm struggling to get above that. It almost feels like it's not physical possible for me and my fingers get tired very fast (2-3 rounds of typing one minute). I think I type in rather atypical way as I'm using my fingers this way:

Left little finger: Nothing
Left ring finder: Caps Lock
Left middle finger (10 % of typing)
Left index finger: (40 % of typing)
Left thumb: Space

Right thumb: Nothing
Right index Finger: (40 % of typing)
Right middle finger: Nothing
Right ring finder: Backspace
Right little finger: Nothing

When I see videos of people getting +170 WPM they don't move their hands around as much as I do. Do I have to change my writing style to get to +170 WPM and perhaps +180 WPM or do you think it's possible to get to those numbers with my current way of writing?

Bitbatgaming

Did i max out my typing speed?

Post by Bitbatgaming » Wed May 23, 2018 11:55 pm

I don't want to max out with my typing speed but this is the only high accuracy i am getting.
It seems like i am getting the same scores, but after 3 months, i see accuracy going up, not changes in speed.

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 am

@HankelBao: Switches have no really significant effect on accuracy or speed. Otherwise everyone would type on switches of the same color. The choice of this or that switch is a matter of taste. To work on accuracy, slowing down is a good start.

@Viggo: A basic way to progress is to simply practice enough to get more and more refined automatisms (this is the principle of muscle memory and adaptation). That's why practice and patience are usually enough to cross any "limit". It is by approaching regularly a "limit" that one ends up exceeding it. The average WPM is a good indicator. If it increases, it's a sign that a barrier can potentially fall. If it stagnates, just keep practicing and be patient until it increases.

There are also two other ways to become faster (which can be cumulated):
- move your fingers faster;
- optimize your typing technique.

Obviously, as you have guessed, the less fingers you use, the less your movements are optimal and therefore the more you will be slowed down, especially if you can't balance your technique's limits by a greater motion speed. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to optimize your technique (such as using more fingers) before wanting to go faster. However this will not be the guarantee of getting that speed you wish. But this will be at least a more "normal" way of typing that will surely bring you more comfort (which in my opinion is well worth it).

@Bitbatgaming: Seeing your accuracy increase is always a good sign because accuracy is one of the best bases of speed. Keep practicing, maintain your accuracy and be patient, progress will eventually happen.

Bitbatgaming

I am struggling to improve

Post by Bitbatgaming » Thu May 31, 2018 11:58 pm

I see my low scores being less, but at the same time i don't see a high increase in my speed. I have been having the same problem asking the forum members about it, but i don't see a increase in my speed because i am trying to constantly type but due to my keyboard and some other problems there are errors. i see my accuracy going up, but that's not the point.

Bitbatgaming

Post by Bitbatgaming » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:47 pm

I have been noticing my scores have not been going up. Nowadays i have been reaching 80-90 wpm and getting 11 incorrect words, and i have to do backspace every five seconds.
I always spell a word wrong or think of another word and then type it.

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 am

Your error rate appears to be too high. You'll do better if you make fewer errors and rush less, assuming you rush through your tests.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

Russell Muscle

Post by Russell Muscle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 am

I have seen about how there are ways to improve with time and practice. However, is there a genetic limit. My example is this: I improved pretty fast on 10fastfingers.com in 2013-2014, and then I kind of hit a wall, but then improved some in 2015, and then haven't beat my test records ever since. However, I have taken many tests on this website. Like, if you could always improve with the perfect practice and coordination, then I'm sure that could happen up to a certain point. However, I think for someone to be as fast as Sean Wrona, the web-site record holder, or Alpha Panda, a teenage phenom who is about equal in speed to the record, they would need to have some pretty good genetics for typing. Honestly, though, I enjoy typing. It is a great way to relieve stress. Also, I have noticed they are trying to re-set the graphs.

Russell Muscle

Post by Russell Muscle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:54 am

This is a really fun website.

Danniella

Post by Danniella » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Russell Muscle wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:54 am
This is a really fun website.
Excellent indeed Russell. Just tried my first run and got 90 wpm with sister two-type. Got A+ in school but need to practice.
Best Typewriters ever bought up by Sperry Computers that turned into Unisys Corp. Used to do 90wpm on those metal things. Myself love Ansigtsbehandling København and brasiliansk voks