Typing tips

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.

Re: Typing tips

Post by 2014 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:08 am

Patient and motivation ;)

Kaz

Post by Kaz » Tue May 13, 2014 3:15 pm

I know not practicing for awhile can really hurt your score :P. I took a break from 10FF for awhile when I could get mid to high 120s in competitions, and now I have trouble breaking 110 it seems. So not practicing for awhile can definitely affect your typing skill for sure.

As for me, I seem to type the best at the beginning of each thing heh. I can go about 30-40 seconds with a good rhythm and without missing a letter but then once I miss one, its like something flips and I start missing more. I figure my fingers have an endurance limit that I need to get better so I can push the whole 60 seconds without missing letters. I also fix the words I mistype so I need to get better about not doing that :P

I agree with most people though, practice practice practice and sit comfortably and relaxed while doing so.

NoNickname

Any Tips?

Post by NoNickname » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi
I'm 16 years old and learnt the 10fingersystem I think 1year ago... My record is 89... but this is since 1 or 2 month ago. I dont know how beat my record... I know that I must train but every time I train i dont can beat 89.. anyway has anywhone a tip for me? Thank you

dimdim

Post by dimdim » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Of course practice and motivation are the main means for mastering touch typing. However there are very few courses that combine typing exercises and motivation. Have you heard of any?

cameron23

Learning to type

Post by cameron23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm

As of this moment my average WPM is only around 45 :( Of course, as i am here, i would very much like to increase this to far beyond this. What are the best recommended websites or strategy to help me increase my WPM? I heard typing a book book backwards will be a sure fire way of increasing your WPM, or how about even doing the 10 fast fingers typing test in a different language? Ofc, not in a language with different characters, but maybe welsh, Spanish isn't too far off ect. Thanks in advance for your replies :geek:

Danegraphics

Post by Danegraphics » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm

One of the things that I really need to do is to practice while simply relaxing. I get tense when I'm doing a typing speed test and that isn't helped by the fact that I'm mentally trying to take control of my hands and make them go faster instead of letting them use the muscle memory that they have.

So, if there was a good tip that I would advise to those seeking faster times, it's to relax and let your hands do what they already know how to do without trying to push them. They'll do it on their own, just relax.

PS: Don't relax too much. If you don't use enough strength then the keys won't get pressed all the way and you won't type anything. ;)

Arrrr

Post by Arrrr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:36 pm

memoryproblems wrote:Practice really is everything. I was talking with somebody the other day about keyboards, and about which ones were best. I spend alot of my time on a laptop, using the integrated keyboard, which is obviously less desirable then a more spacious keyboard, but as I was saying then, I highly doubt that I'm losing much speed on the laptop keyboard, beause I've gotten used to it.

From personal experience, I can say that at least my WPM improved a lot by using a different keyboard. I was using "normal" keyboards for years, the last one I used was a Logitech G15, before buying a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx blue switches, and my WPM went up by around 20 within 1 week. Of course, I think that does not apply to everyone, maybe I just found the "right" keyboard for myself. :)

jolos

Post by jolos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:12 pm

When practicing, my advice is to always ask yourself if you're typing faster now than last month, and if not, why?

Then identify the bottleneck and work on it, and here are some things that hold people back.
1) Pauses at periods, commas and spaces (imagine what you are writing is just one single long word)
2) Too slow movement of the fingers (type without caring about misspelling, just practice to get the speed up)
3) Not using the optimal finger for some keys (use typing games that focus on single keys)
4) Reading speed and/or subvocalization (if your reading speed is generally at 200-300 wpm, it can still hold you back)
5) Typos, due to:
5a) Getting the order of letters wrong, like hrose, csatle - often because one types a little too fast (either slow down just a little before speeding up again, concentrate better, or practice the misspelled words).
5b) Bad habits; a word has been typed wrong so often that the misspelling comes natural (practice until the bad habit is kicked)
5c) Sloppy reading, assuming that it's one word that should be typed, when it indeed is another (concentrate better, or practice speed reading)
5d) Pushing the wrong key, like a x instead of an z, due to not being totally familiar with the keyboard (use typing games that focus on single keys)

We all type our some words, like passwords, faster than most other words, due to practice, so first and foremost I think using the Top 1000 Typing Mode is the most useful tool, preferably in Hard Core mode.

shyam

Post by shyam » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 am

Hi Friends!

Here i read your postings, i'm also give a tip for typing,
When you type a paragraph or text that time you don't seen the keyboard, because the speed cannot be continue.
Thank you.Keep in touch with us..

ClearView

Post by ClearView » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Writer's Block. I hate it.. But anyways, instead of steady staring at the screen, glace at the keyboard for more accuracy, and when you look at the screen, memorize at least three words.. It worked for me.. I started with 33WPM and jumped to my average 40 with a max of 48 in a competition.. In a typing test I got to 46..