Typing tips

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
chupachupsa

Re: Best typist in each language

Post by chupachupsa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 am

Best way how to learn type in each language faster is here ---> www.typingstudy.com
It was very helpful for me

Aziz Wahid

Increase typing accuracy

Post by Aziz Wahid » Sat May 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm new here. As the title said, how to increase our typing accuracy?
Some said that you just need to go fast and the accuracy will slowly become better.
How about you? Can you share some of your experience?

Thanks in advance ;)

jallis

Re: Typing tips

Post by jallis » Sat May 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Have you read through the previous posts in this thread? If not you should, because there are some tips there. But to put it short, the only real thing you need to do is to get a good technique and to type a lot. Other than that there's not really too much you can do to improve your speed.

LARSSS

Post by LARSSS » Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm

To improve your speed on 10FF is just by doing it often so you get familiar with the words.

If you have a hard time with a particular word, try to divide the word in 2. That's what I am doing with long words which I am struggling with.

fayadneto

Post by fayadneto » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Maybe this could help someone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aon02v2qNYQ

Dunn

A simple & important question

Post by Dunn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Hello , Can you tell me how to typing fast (faster than 70 WPM) ?
Thank you .

Impermanence

Post by Impermanence » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Typing is mainly muscle memory.
You have to train your brain and muscles to get used to typing a sequence of letters when you see a word.

Try doing what I call "bursts" for familiar words.
When I see a word, I don't think about typing each key individually unless it's a really long and unfamiliar word.

Also try to lessen the time between each word.

A common error is pressing the spacebar before finishing a word.
You shouldn't spend too much time double-checking to see if a word is completed before pressing the spacebar, though.

Try to make everything fluid a flow. Start slow and try to build up your speed!

I used to type with two fingers when I was younger. It's amazing how things have changed throughout the years.

jallis

Post by jallis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Hey I'm wondering: You top tier guys who type at a speed of 150+, do you ever see improvement or have you reached your highest possible speed? Like, have your speed changed since you started using this site, or have you just had around the same speed?

Impermanence

Post by Impermanence » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:12 am

jallis wrote:Hey I'm wondering: You top tier guys who type at a speed of 150+, do you ever see improvement or have you reached your highest possible speed? Like, have your speed changed since you started using this site, or have you just had around the same speed?

Yes, I have seen an improvement since joining this site!

When I joined this site 3-4 weeks ago, I was typing 125-140 WPM~
I didn't always break 140 and I sometimes dipped into the low 120s.

I remember being very ecstatic when I broke 150 WPM for the first time.
Now, low 150s is very common for me in competitions and nothing out of the ordinary.
After 3-4 weeks, I'm typing 155-165 WPM with 172 being my absolute best.

I believe typing has diminishing returns as you get into the high numbers.
Everyone has a plateau, and I feel like I'm soon reaching mine.

In a few months, I might be able to do 175-180 WPM as a new personal best.
What I'm more concerned about is what my new average is or what range I'm falling under.

Those small pauses really add up.
One thing that I'm working on is making sure that I flow smoothly between each word without any noticeable pauses.

Another problem I have is sometimes mixing up the first letter of words and making a mistake.
I look at groups of words at a time rather than one word at a time.
If the words I'm reading are a tongue twister in my mind, it's usually a "finger twister" too.

jallis

Post by jallis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 am

Hey there! I've recently completed the practice mode and therefore unlocked the hardcore mode. When I started today's session of typing, I did some Norwegian tests. I got around 95, which is around my average. Then, I decided to go do some of the hardcore tests, because I have a goal to complete the entire thing. After completing two normal levels and one boss level with the same words that are in the normal test I went back to do the normal test, where mistakes are allowed. My previous highscore was 109, and this was set quite a while ago. I haven't been able to beat this, but then, straight after having done the accuracy training on hardcore mode, I got a score of 117 in Norwegian. And I had almost no mistakes.

Conclusion: If you want to get faster, do hardcore mode on practice mode top 1000. It really works.