What keyboard do you use for fast typing?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
qbZ

Re: What keyboard do you use for fast typing?

Post by qbZ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:51 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanto-Dream

Post by Kanto-Dream » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 pm

Well, qBz... The fact is changing keyboard DO affect typing.

There are keyboards with which I can type easily type at normal speed, the speed I have with the keyboard I use to use, and other keyboards with which I can barely reach my average - 30WPM.

The fact is that a keyboard is not just a keyboard, every keyboards are different, and there are keyboards that are easier to use than others, or with which it is easier to get used to.

I'm not saying that using a "special keyboard" would make one's average improve of 50WPM, but, at least, it would not prevent user from typing at top speed.

spiffytippy

Post by spiffytippy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

qbZ wrote:and what I'm basically saying is that buying one of those shitty keyboards in the hope of typing faster is retarded, especially for 300 bucks

1. "shitty"
Please define shitty or at least explain, what is shitty about them.

2. "hope of typing faster is retarded"
Why should using an ergonomically and more efficiently usable tool in order to work faster be a deduction only a mentally impeded person can have. Quite the opposite is true, I would argue.

3. The price.
The price depends on the production size, which depends on the supply which depends on the demand. I do not see a reason, why a different layout alone for instance, should have an impact on the price of keyboards in general. The problem is, that the users put up with it and are as ignorant as the quoted post. We need to DEMAND good keyboards. Instead we as the customers demand colored keyboards with lighting...

My question is: Why? qBz, do you use the right tool for the job normally? I guess so, but why do you not think about how your keyboard could work better for the intended use?

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:30 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linkbane

Post by Linkbane » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 pm

I use a Leopold FC660C with Topre switches, get mostly in the high-150s. Used to use Cherry Blues, which I still like.

spiffytippy

Post by spiffytippy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 am

qbZ wrote:
Well, qBz... The fact is changing keyboard DO affect typing.

never said that it didn't, ofc u have more chances to be shitty with a shitty keyboard but u don't need to spend 300 bucks on a shitty (ergonomic) keyboard to not be shitty........ u can easily find not shitty keyboard for 10€
shittyshittyshitty

1. useless

2. if u can prove that it actually affects your typing speed congratz, but just ask the fastest around here n u'll see that nobody gives a fuck about ergonomic keyboards

3. people type fast because they are used to their layout/keyboard why the fuck would you want to change that

1. So you find an ergonomic keyboard useless and many standard $10 keyboard useful?

2. So you deny the probability that an ergonomic keyboard is usable in a more efficient way than the 100 year old design?

3. Ofc. you are faster if you are used to your keyboard. It's like with everything else. Ask a Marine to disassemble his rifle. Then ask him to do this with a totally unknown rifle. But if the other rifle is easier to disassemmble, less steps, better mechanisms etc, then I am sure, he would be faster with this new one, if he trained as much with it as with his old one.

That is the key difference between us. I argue for the ease of use the keyboard provides, the way it forces you to use it. You only argue that being used to something is better than not being used to something - which is btw obvious.

Nobody says that an ergonomic keyboard is faster from day one. It doesn't even have to be faster. But it will be more ERGONOMICALLY: less strain, more symmetrical load on the fingers, etc. This may lead to an increase in speed. But speed is not the main goal for ergonomic keyboards, ease of use is and they achieve that.

Stephen Athon

Post by Stephen Athon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:07 pm

In relation to the previous discussion, allow me to offer a bit of a "duh" commentary.

You can't underestimate the value of a quality keyboard. Regardless of how accustomed you become to an inferior product, the keyboard may ultimately limit your ability. Many will never reach this threshold though, when the ability of the user maximizes the potential of that device. While it is true, some folks are very good at doing the best with what they have: the utility of a superior product is hard to deny. High performance keyboards carry a greater potential for efficient, consistent typing, which lends itself to greater typing speed. While, admittedly, typing speed is not the greatest end-goal, it is mainly what I'm interested in.

There, I've given my sales pitch. :roll:

That said, I just ordered a new mechanical keyboard and I'm excited to try it out!

Linkbane wrote:I use a Leopold FC660C with Topre switches, get mostly in the high-150s. Used to use Cherry Blues, which I still like.

I looked into the Leopold with Cherrys, but to be honest the dizzying array of low to mid $100 range keyboards helped me decide to go up a notch in quality. My switch preference is Browns, and I wanted to stick with Cherry because it is the most reputable. Although Topre's are probably better, I have not been able to try them - plus they had mixed reviews.

Settled on the Deck Francium Pro with MX Cherry Browns - despite being a quirky style, it has excellent build quality and also has durable PBT keycaps. I wanted to have something I could keep for years and years. It was also a bit cheaper than the Filco Majestouch 2, a similar top-of-the-line model.

Hopefully all my mech keyboard research will pay off. :P

spiffytippy

Post by spiffytippy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 am

Stephen Athon wrote:the utility of a superior product is hard to deny. High performance keyboards carry a greater potential for efficient, consistent typing, which lends itself to greater typing speed.

Well said!

Why do you exclude ergonomics in this rationale?
How can a product made of the best materials but of inferior design be optimal?

I am still puzzled by how hard most people ignore the ergonomic aspects of keyboards. Especially when people pour so much effort into conciously chosing one. Can you help me understand you?

Thx!
spiffyTippy

Stephen Athon

Post by Stephen Athon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Spiffytippy, thank you for your reply.

I am not an expert in keyboards at all, and I have not typed on a wide variety of models unfortunately. My limited experiences with ergonomic keyboard layouts was mixed - there were pros and cons. The negatives were related more to the sloppy and cheap feel of the keys than the layout itself. After a short adjustment period I seemed to have few issues with that layout. The problem, to me, is the unreliability of the cheap construction.

I wouldn't call a standard layout "inferior". Consider an instrument like the piano. The best pianists in the world still play on a flat row of keys - it is not curved to allow for comfort or supposed ease of use. And it is one-size-fits-all. Some hands are better suited for a piano than others. Fortunately with computer keyboards there is a variety of sizes on the market. I actually like a somewhat compact keyboard for typing.

It is really tough to choose something without having tried it in person. Sometimes you consciously choose a bad product, albeit not on purpose!

spiffytippy

Post by spiffytippy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Stephen Athon wrote:[...] The problem, to me, is the unreliability of the cheap construction.

I wouldn't call a standard layout "inferior". Consider an instrument like the piano. The best pianists in the world still play on a flat row of keys - it is not curved to allow for comfort or supposed ease of use. And it is one-size-fits-all. Some hands are better suited for a piano than others. Fortunately with computer keyboards there is a variety of sizes on the market. I actually like a somewhat compact keyboard for typing.

It is really tough to choose something without having tried it in person. Sometimes you consciously choose a bad product, albeit not on purpose!

Nice point, Stephen. Cheap construction is often a problem. My truly ergonomic keyboard has cherry switches and seems very sturdy. On top it is compact. Have you considered it? It is hard to come by, here in Germany.

The analogy with the piano is good. It has purposefully ordered keys. From low to high. Every full tone step is a white key and the half tone steps are black, short keys between the corresponding white ones. The modifiers are pedals, close together so you can hit 2 with one foot, if desired. It is beautiful. It IS ergonomic. Different sizes are difficult, since you cannot carry your piano around to all concerts. ;)

What layout do our keys have? Staggered in a nonsensical way. The important modifiers are hard to reach. I could go on.

Trying ergonomic keyboards is kinda bad, because you need to get used to them. At first, most of them feel wrong, because we are accustomed to something else. So trying is more of a month thing than a minute tryout at the store. That is a hurdle, I think.

My question was not answered, but reinforced. You dont think the standard layout is inferior, which leads me to think that you haven't thought about what makes an ergonomic keyboard apart from the switches and the size. Why is that? Why are we so oblivious to our key arrangements?

spiffy tippy