What keyboard do you use for fast typing?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
mccoolaustinm

Mechanical Switch Type for 150wpm+?

Post by mccoolaustinm » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Hey guys! After hours and hours of research, and not living near any decent electronics/office stores with any kind of selection of mechanical keyboards, I'm having a hard time choosing a new keyboard. I want to sell my current keyboard (much too large for my current desk) and get around to buying a new tenkey-less keyboard, this time mechanical.

I currently use, and have used for years, a Razer Anansi keyboard, which has a 65g actuation force, and I like the amount of force required to hit the keys. I'm a pretty good touch typist, averaging over 130 on the basic test here on 10FF and closer to 110 on the harder advanced test, and I'm not sure what kind of mechanical key type would be best moving forward if I wanted to continue to get faster. :ugeek:

I've been told that blues are fantastic for typing, but I am definitely worried about annoying my coworkers because whatever keyboard I get, I intend to carry it around with me a lot, hence the need for it to be small and either wireless or with detachable USB. I have primarily considered MX Clears for having the same 65g actuation that I am used to, but they are only available in some of the most expensive keyboards (though I am willing to spend up to maybe $150 if the keyboard will last me years.)

I am wondering what sort of keys the fastest typists here on 10FF prefer, and why. I have read many opinions from average typists, but as I want to grow ever faster, I'd like the opinions of some of the pros!

spiffytippy

Re: Mechanical Switch Type for 150wpm+?

Post by spiffytippy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:06 am

mccoolaustinm wrote:1. [...]buying a new tenkey-less keyboard, this time mechanical.
2. [...]but I am definitely worried about annoying my coworkers
3. [...]because whatever keyboard I get, I intend to carry it around with me a lot, hence the need for it to be small and either wireless or with detachable USB.

Hi

Answering with the Truly Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard - Soft Tactile - Model 229 - English:

1. This is not only small, but also ergonomic with soft switches. Even though it has no numpad, you have an alternate layer with the tenkeys. I activate it by hitting the left half of the spacebar with my left thumb.
https://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/products/truly-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard-soft-tactile-kailh-cherry-mx-compatible-brown-keyswitches-229-english

2. I have the cherry mx brown equivalent switches. The are not using cherry but Kailh switches. Since I own the old (in the office) and the new model (at home), I compare them every day. The Kailh switches are more defined and have a better feel to them. They wobble way less and i am faster with them. Just a bit, but its more precise with them. I also use the little orings like these http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html to further quiet the keys down. Now the keyboard is more quiet than any other keyboard here in the office.

3. It is pretty heavy and has a long non detachable USB-Cable.

Fransisco

Re: What keyboard do you use for fast typing?

Post by Fransisco » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 pm

I currently use and enjoy my mbpr 2014 keyboard. I am averaging 95-100 wpm with it so its working well for me. I also have a Ducky Mini with Cherry MX Blues but find that to be too fatiguing for speed typing (and to loud imo).
Life will leave you pondering infinitely

QUAD

Post by QUAD » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I use the Logitech K120 which is a pretty bad keyboard that came with my computer when i bought it...

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:10 am

I use a QWERTY keyboard on a Toshiba laptop I received in 2010. I think this is equivalent to computers I use in libraries or employment skills testing sites.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com