Is 10-finger-typing so much faster?

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
jallis

Re: Is 10-finger-typing so much faster?

Post by jallis » Thu May 05, 2016 10:00 pm

The reason people say that using all your 10 fingers is smart is that when you use more fingers, each individual finger moves a shorter distance. This means that if your fingers move at a certain speed, using more fingers will make you type faster. It makes sense to me that if you're going to press a certain key, you chose whichever finger is the closest. And by using more fingers you will then also use the closest finger most of the time, making you faster.

When it comes to actually learning to type with all fingers, you should do it all in one go. It will take you about three days before you can type comfortably, so do it in a weekend. Then, after only a couple of weeks, your speed will have reached your previous speed and beyond. Worked with me and my buddy who tried it recently. You just have to force yourself really hard at first.

Mehdifellawh

Post by Mehdifellawh » Fri May 06, 2016 9:29 pm

jallis wrote:The reason people say that using all your 10 fingers is smart is that when you use more fingers, each individual finger moves a shorter distance. This means that if your fingers move at a certain speed, using more fingers will make you type faster. It makes sense to me that if you're going to press a certain key, you chose whichever finger is the closest. And by using more fingers you will then also use the closest finger most of the time, making you faster.

When it comes to actually learning to type with all fingers, you should do it all in one go. It will take you about three days before you can type comfortably, so do it in a weekend. Then, after only a couple of weeks, your speed will have reached your previous speed and beyond. Worked with me and my buddy who tried it recently. You just have to force yourself really hard at first.

So like do you type someone like that types over 163 wpm with 8 fingers can type faster / same speed with 10 fingers with some days of practice ?

jallis

Post by jallis » Sun May 08, 2016 6:42 pm

At that speed I'd assume it takes longer than a couple of days. However, since one already would have coordination in most of the fingers to move really quickly, I think that one would reach the same speed after only a couple of weeks. At speeds lower than 80 WPM I think that one could reach the previous speed in just a couple of days. It all depends on how fast you already type. I do believe that if you switch to using more fingers, you have the potential to type even faster than you already do. I am no expert within this field however, I'm just speaking from experience.

premieritzone

Post by premieritzone » Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 am

Some user's Typing Speed is too fast, how they can typing too fast, i also want to increase my speed...

Mehdifellawh

Post by Mehdifellawh » Wed May 25, 2016 5:14 pm

oh yeah with short text everything is possible even 300 wpm ( for example the "valikor valikor valikor valikor valikor" from typeracer/universe easytext