Option to turn off Red Highlighting

Comments and suggestions to help improve 10FF.
Techieey

Option to turn off Red Highlighting

Post by Techieey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:12 am

Can it be possible to turn off the Red Highlighting for wrong words typed? I don't want this feature to be standard (to new users), as it is helpful to new users, but this feature is giving me "inflated" typing speed, and not an "actual" measure of my typing speed.
When I type here, I get visual aid (red highlighting) for wrong words typed, but in real world scenario, no help is available.
We have to spend time to look for the wrong words typed.
Can someone make a quick hack (like javascript bookmark, that needs to be clicked each time, before starting a quiz), if 10fastfingers.com doesn't like the idea?

Linsk

Re: Option to turn off Red Highlighting

Post by Linsk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:44 am

This option is not available.

Techieey

Post by Techieey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Linsk wrote:This option is not available.

Can this option be made available, officially or a small hack for the time being?
What's your opinion about this feature: Will it be helpful to some users, according to you?

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:47 pm

I don't know and I'm not the admin, so my opinion is rather useless. :P

topsight85

Post by topsight85 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Techieey wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:12 am
Can it be possible to turn off the Red Highlighting for wrong words typed? I don't want this feature to be standard (to new users), as it is helpful to new users, but this feature is giving me "inflated" typing speed, and not an "actual" measure of my typing speed.
When I type here, I get visual aid (red highlighting) for wrong words typed, but in real world scenario, no help is available.
We have to spend time to look for the wrong words typed.
Can someone make a quick hack (like javascript bookmark, that needs to be clicked each time, before starting a quiz), if 10fastfingers.com doesn't like the idea?
Nice suggestion, I did a workaround based on your ideia, it uses a browser extension called Code Injector (Firefox | Edge | Chrome). Just follow the steps below:
  1. Install the extension on your browser
  2. Click on the extension icon and click on "Add rule"
  3. In the field that says "Url pattern", copy and paste the string "10fastfingers\.com" (without the quotation marks). This will restrict the code injection to the 10fastfingers page only.
  4. Click to select the CSS tab.
  5. Copy and paste the code below into the field where it says "/* Type your CSS code here. */"

Code: Select all

/* FEATURE START: Remove red highlight when mistyping a word */
#speedtest-main .highlight-wrong{
    background-color: #dddddd;
}
/* FEATURE END */

/* FEATURE START: Remove red color on words typed wrong */
#speedtest-main .wrong{
    color: #111111;    
}
/* FEATURE END */

/* FEATURE START: Remove green color on words typed right */
#speedtest-main .correct{
    color: #111111;    
}
/* FEATURE END */

/* FEATURE START: Remove timer */
#timer{
    display: none;
}
/* FEATURE END */
I wrote some description for every feature of the code, they are commented between "/* FEATURE START" and "FEATURE END */". If you want to remove a feature, you can delete the part of the code between those lines.

Tell me if you found it useful. Cheers.