New "practice" mode

10FF news, updates and polls.
christianstrang
Site Admin

Re: New "practice" mode

Post by christianstrang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 am

@Jacksparrow: You will still be able to see your WPM and more data at the end of the test but in addition to that you will also get points. The ranking for the practice mode will be based on points, but if you are a fast typist you can still get points faster than a slower typist, but users who practice a lot will have a chance to catch up. But you can still compete just based on WPM in the normal and advanced typing test, those will stay the same :)

sidm

Post by sidm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm

hello! i think it would be great if you add the most active typists LEADERBOARD mainly based on words typed, tests or competitions taken. You can also add the lists of the last 7 days, last 24 hours, last 30 days and all time based on the most active and fastest typists.

jacksparrow

Post by jacksparrow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:14 am

@ christianstrang: Oh I get it! Thanks for explaining. Its an awesome idea :)

Hotice12

Post by Hotice12 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 am

Hello always nice to hear eager administrators and to live through improvement.

However, I personally dislike top-scores based on "how often" you did a test. It just doesn't reflect your skill and ability. Doing something often doesn't necessarily mean you are very good. And some people just train a few times everyday, or go at work and type there, the constant training makes you good here, not doing hours on one day. I doubt I would use it.

From my point of view it is fine as it is now. The curve gives you a constant feedback on how you improve, it's already very satisfying to me. And the scores are reflecting skill.

jallis

Post by jallis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm

While I do understand how the current way the site is is okay enough for you, I would like some improvement in this direction. I do not have a job with typing, and I would still like to learn to type fast. If this gets implemented then that will be easier for me. I do actually train every day on this site, and therefore improvement is greatly appreciated :D

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Alright, I'm finally finished with my other app and can now focus on 10FastFingers again :)
I will keep you updated on what I'm currently working on and how you can access the alpha version of the practice mode once I have something to test :)

See you soon!

jallis

Post by jallis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey, Jallis here. Just out of curiosity, could you tell us how far you've gotten on the mode and how long you would estimate it to take before it's out for us to try? I'm just asking, no stress or anything :)

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi :)
no worries, glad you ask:
I'm currently working on the "Text practice mode". The Practice mode will consist of different modes (some of them I can't wait to start working on, really exciting I think :D).

I'm currently finishing up the first version of the "text practice mode" and will post a beta version here so you can try it out (though your results might be erased when it goes public to everyone, depends if the calculation algorithm changes during the beta phase or not and a few other things that would prevent making results comparable).

I hope to get it done in the next couple of days because I'm really eager to start working on the "TOP 1000" practice mode :mrgreen:

jallis

Post by jallis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Haha, well thanks for the info! Great to hear that you're working hard on this, that'll make things great for us who use the site a lot. Also, thanks for the quick response :D

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 am

The first part of the practice mode is now online: http://10fastfingers.com/practice/

For now you can only practice english texts, but I will improve upon this after getting your feedback :)
Also the results aren't being saved yet, just let me know if I forgot any important data that should be saved (after finishing the test you will see your results at the bottom).

If you have any suggestions, please let me know :)