New "practice" mode

10FF news, updates and polls.
christianstrang
Site Admin

New "practice" mode

Post by christianstrang » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

The next thing I want to implement is the following:

Some kind of practice mode, which will basically be the same as the speedtest but with a lot more options and check boxes. You can increase the difficulty and length of the typing test, or just select specific groups of characters that will show up. You will see an average WPM while you are typing and you will get points at the end of the test (either after the time you picked at the beginning is over or you can stop the test at any time you want during the test).

These points will also be the way you are ranked (instead of the WPM), this gives users, who are very engaged on the site but have a low WPM, finally a way to rank high (something I always wanted to implement).

Before I start building anything I want to discuss with you guys what features you would like to see and for you to make me aware of some pitfalls (for example, how does this "picking the difficulty" feature work in different languages)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features I currently plan to implement (a lot of them are taken from your feature suggestions):

• a settings area (basic and advanced) where users can change the test
  • "common words" is checked by default
  • users can check "number" to include numbers in the test
  • users can check "advanced words" to type more difficulty words
  • users can pick a list of words that they can type (to practice words they have a hard time typing - probably not included in the first version)
  • set the time (30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes)
  • type a text (either one you copy/pasted yourself or one that is "popular" on the site)
  • show WPM and accuracy while typing (can be deactivated)
  • a result page with a detailed description: WPM, accuracy, (WPM/accuracy over time visible by a graph?), mistyped words, if the user used the pause function, ...

Please let me know what you think of these features and which ones you would like to see implemented first. The practice mode will start with a small feature-set and I will add more over time if users like this mode :)

I picked the features out of these request-topics:

TomAllen

Re: New "practice" mode

Post by TomAllen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Sorry - I never saw this post, hence making the suggestion to pretty much do what you've spoke of here.
(TLDR: Skip to bold text below)

I would suggest a system, where if you run a test with only common words checked, you get 1 point per WPM.
So it's much like the current system, and it could say show both 100WPM and 100 points. If you ran the test for 2 minutes instead of one, there should be a point multiplier as it's harder to type quickly for longer.

So after running a 2 minute test, you might get 100WPM and 120 points (1.2x multiplier) or something similar?

I think this would be the best way of ranking and rewarding people, as people will still want to see their WPM, but points are awarded on skill and difficulty.

You could add numbers and symbols into the test, which add 0.1x multiplier each or something.
Difficulty is added to the point score first, then duration afterwards.

All examples below are based on a 100WPM rate.

So a basic 1 minute test would be:
100WPM = 100 points.

1 minute test with symbols:
100WPM = 100 points, + 100x0.1 = 110 points.

2 minute test with symbols and numbers:
100WPM = (100 points, + (100x0.1) + (100x0.1)) x 0.2 (duration)
Or more simply: 100 + 10 + 10 x 0.2 = 144 points.

I hope this makes sense :)

TomAllen

Post by TomAllen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I know how I've written them maths isn't quite correct, but you should be able to see the idea.

Add up the difficulty, then add another multiplier for the duration.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:38 pm

That is a good difficulty-calculation! You are right that the multiplier should increase the longer the user types, but I'm currently not sure how to implement it and I think it might interfere with the "cancel/stop" functionality and the "pause" functionality (if I'll add one). But I think the rest should be a good addition :)

Mediocre Typist

Programming Typing Test

Post by Mediocre Typist » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi,

I just got an email that the programming Typing Test was completed. :D The link said to continue the discussion in this thread so here I am.

My question is how can I access this test on the site? I don't see it anywhere. Thanks!

TomAllen

Post by TomAllen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm

I'd say to keep away from a pause feature myself.

There's no professional typing test or anything where you're allowed to stop and walk away and wipe the sweat from your hands ;) haha. So adding a pause feature might sound good, but actually allow people to 'cheat' on endurance tests.

You could have it of course at a price, so they still get a WPM score, but their points suffer a 15% loss on each pause.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm

I just got an email that the programming Typing Test was completed. The link said to continue the discussion in this thread so here I am.

Sorry about that, uservoice only let me choose between "feature request declined" and "feature request completed". The practice mode is not available yet but the feedback I get from this post will shape how the practice mode will be implemented :)

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:15 pm

There's no professional typing test or anything where you're allowed to stop and walk away and wipe the sweat from your hands haha. So adding a pause feature might sound good, but actually allow people to 'cheat' on endurance tests.

I don't want to position the practice mode as a "professional typing test" just as a way to practice and improve your typing. Therefore I think a pause-function makes a lot of sense, for example if you practice in a 10-minute mode and suddenly something needs your attention. It would be really frustrating/annoying to mess up your progress. At least that is what I think and I feel that this feature would be requested eventually that is why I want to plan ahead of time.

TomAllen

Post by TomAllen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Hmm I suppose that is true. Though I feel surely, that the idea of a 10 minute test is to see how fast you can type for a solid 10 minutes. If you're able to pause it, the stats wouldn't be showing what you can do for 10 minutes. I would however completely support a pause feature on an infinite test, so you can just start and stop whenever you like, and use it to practice.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Ah, gotcha you might be right.
The thing is, why would somebody need to type for 10 minutes? Usually for a job application or something like this. Maybe this would solve the issue: After the test, the user gets a detailed result page: mistakes he made, WPM, accuracy etc. and it will show if the user used the pause functionality.

If the user uses the test for a job application, he will send his future employee a link to his result and then the employee can see if he used the pause function or not. Would this solve the issue?