New "practice" mode

10FF news, updates and polls.
sims

Re: New "practice" mode

Post by sims » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Hey!

I found this website not long ago while looking for free tools to improve my typing speed. I have to say that I enjoy it a lot, so thank you for doing such a good job! :D

I'm not sure if it's been reported before, but unfortunately I keep having one problem. I've been working my way through the top1000 mode and lately my results don't always get recorded properly at the end of a level. The elapsed time shows billions of seconds and my wpm is 0. It feels like this got worse since I reached the hardcore mode, but it might just be that I have to restart a level due to mistakes and when I finally finish it, I get this bug and I lose the results. During the last week, I got this bug more than a dozen times and it's very frustrating.

Here's a screenshot with the result at the end of the level. I hope this helps your debugging and that you can fix it.

http://i.imgur.com/xAon3UW.jpg

Thanks,
Alex

jolos

Practice Mode – language errors and corrections

Post by jolos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 am

Hi,

Great program! I'm am done with the 1000 softcore exercises, and I have written down all the words that aren't Norwegian and the corrected words after them:

Top 301-400
lige → like

Top 401-500
efter → etter

Top 501-600
lidt → led
aldrig → aldrende
Ingen should be written with a small «i»
måske → muligens
vores → vår

Top 601-700
undskyld → beklager
igen → igjen
tage → ta
tide → tid
laver → lager

Top 701-800
hen → begynn
blive → bli

Top 801-900
June → juni (if it's the month). If it's a common female name, then «Inger» would be good.
altid → alltid

Top 901-1000
finde → finne
max → maks

ShadowVortex

Post by ShadowVortex » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:14 am

Would be great if we can see our progress during Practice Mode so we can see how close we are to finishing the level.

jolos

Post by jolos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Please let me know when it's been fixed. The words that I wrote down are «riksmål», which is a outdated language that isn't an official language in Norway any more. :)

jallis

Post by jallis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I feel like I should apologize for some of the Norwegian words being incorrect. I was the one who sent him the list and I myself am Norwegian. I am aware that some of those words are indeed incorrect, however I chose not to report to it seeing as how it was hard to find all the wrong ones and they weren't too wrong (though still wrong). They were also pretty hard to find because of the way the list is formatted. I went through the list several times and removed all the ones that I found that were bad, and I do actually belive I got most of them. I don't know how you could find so many of them. I guess they must've slipped, or maybe he didn't used the updated list. In any case, sorry for those words being wrong.

Also, the word "June" is the name and "hen" is a valid word (hvor er du hen?)

EDIT: I think I might go to the list (since I have it saved) and remove all the words that you had found, and then send the new list to him.

jolos

Post by jolos » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:09 am

jallis wrote:I feel like I should apologize for some of the Norwegian words being incorrect. I was the one who sent him the list and I myself am Norwegian. I am aware that some of those words are indeed incorrect, however I chose not to report to it seeing as how it was hard to find all the wrong ones and they weren't too wrong (though still wrong). They were also pretty hard to find because of the way the list is formatted. I went through the list several times and removed all the ones that I found that were bad, and I do actually belive I got most of them. I don't know how you could find so many of them. I guess they must've slipped, or maybe he didn't used the updated list. In any case, sorry for those words being wrong.

Also, the word "June" is the name and "hen" is a valid word (hvor er du hen?)

EDIT: I think I might go to the list (since I have it saved) and remove all the words that you had found, and then send the new list to him.

Thanks for a quick and friendly reply. Aha, hen used that way makes perfect sense. When you update the list, can you capitalize the first letters of the names? And also, June is 212th on the list of the most common female names, so replacing it with another more common name would be swell.

Have a great weekend, Jallis. And thanks for doing this!

jolos

Post by jolos » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:28 am

Have you made any progress with this, jallis?

Mrs_B

Post by Mrs_B » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm sure I must be doing something fundametally wrong.

I wanted to use the Softcore/Hardcore elements of the Practice Mode, but when I go to them, I can see the various levels I cannot work out how to access them. I can get to Level: 1-50 (Softcore) but there is an empty box above it and no words to type.

I thought maybe I had to do a certain number of practice tests first, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

jallis

Post by jallis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Oh yeah, I sent it as soon as I said I would. Christian reported that he had updated the list.

jolos

Post by jolos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Hmm. That's great, Jallis. Thanks! But when I use the typing practice mode, the non-Norwegian words are - for some reason - still there. Know what's happened?