World Typing Day and Global Typing Challenge, January 8th

10FF news, updates and polls.
christianstrang
Site Admin

Re: World Typing Day and Global Typing Challenge, January 8t

Post by christianstrang » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Thank you ZappX :)
I know its not perfect, but I think its good enough and it doesn't waste any development time :)

Kanto-Dream

Post by Kanto-Dream » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Prizes are just excellent!
If I have understood well, there will be a drawing lots, and 5 people among every players will win.
To participate, we just have to do a test.. That seems really great!
But what about peole who are using bots to repeat and repeat tests all over again with something like 100WPM?

And would advanced typing test count?

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Yeah, we run the risk that this is going to be a massive bot battle between the languages logged off. A solution to that would be to only count the tests that is taken logged on to make it more visible. Even though the incentive for cheating to win prizes has greatly diminished after the change in rules, it's of course no guarantee bots will not be used logged on. But at least they will be banned if spotted. And Christian will surely check the stats of the winners to ensure they are legit.

I'm not sure if a list of the most active users during the 24-hour period is still considered as an option. It's a really interesting endurance test, but unfortunately we cannot tell for how long the users have typed. It's a huge difference between typing for all 60 seconds each test versus typing for e.g. only 10 seconds waiting for the test to finish with about 10 WPM. We also have the aspect of cheating with bots and taking more than one test per minute. That's why I'm skeptical about making such a list. But if you're still going through with it, to avoid the first problem which is probably the biggest, I would as mentioned before use the number of words typed as a measurement instead. In addition you could add the number of tests taken and the average WPM during the period.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 am

@Kanto-Dream: the advance typing test does indeed count as well :)

@ZappX: All tests do count, though only the tests you take logged can win (if you are logged out and submit a result, there is no way to associate the result with your account). Indeed I will check if the user is legitimate after I draw him as a winner (there are a couple of factors I use to determine the viability of the results).

pogl

Post by pogl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 am

Hi I hav a question regarding the "one country wins". Does this mean that to win a prize, your test have to be typed in the language that wins? or can participants win, even if they are not form the country that wins in total? I'm a bit confused and if this is the case I will type in English instead :P.

Soner

Post by Soner » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

pogl wrote:Hi I hav a question regarding the "one country wins". Does this mean that to win a prize, your test have to be typed in the language that wins? or can participants win, even if they are not form the country that wins in total? I'm a bit confused and if this is the case I will type in English instead :P.

No, you can type in any language and still win.

jeffkim

Post by jeffkim » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 am

This was fun to participate in. I hope there are more contests like this in the near future.

Impermanence

Post by Impermanence » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 am

Darn, I missed it!