World Typing Day and Global Typing Challenge, January 8th

10FF news, updates and polls.
christianstrang
Site Admin

World Typing Day and Global Typing Challenge, January 8th

Post by christianstrang » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Hello fellow Typists :)
on january 8th is the annual World Typing Day and this time I want to start the first Global Typing Challenge on 10FastFingers.com

Short description:
On January 8th starting at 12 pm UTC the global typing challenge will start. Every test you take in the next 24 hours in the normal or advanced typing test will count. The language that has the most tests taken during that period will win.

Details about potential prices and rewards will follow in the next couple of weeks, but if you have any questions now, please let me know :)

Update (11.12.): A "hall of fame" with the most frequent participants for this challenge will be created (the more tests you take, the higher you will rank)

Linsk

Re: World Typing Day and Global Typing Challenge, January 8t

Post by Linsk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello Chris,

Really nice idea! It will be very fun. :D

jallis

Post by jallis » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't really think any language except English has any chance of winning... I mean, it's possible but I really doubt it'll happen

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah that worries me a little bit as well, on the other hand, last week the romanian typing test got 60.000 tests compared to 110.000 for the english language, hopefully during the typing challenge, everyone will type in their language :)

Kanto-Dream

Post by Kanto-Dream » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm

A really great idea, but I definitely think like jallis.
How could Enligh lose?

I don't know what, but you could maybe think of another way of celeberate this typing day :)

LARSSS

Post by LARSSS » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Hey Christian,

I really like the idea, but I also have to agree with Jallis.

Unless someone starts something like a "campaign" for typing in their language, then it may be possible that the amount of tests in English will be exceeded.

So maybe there should be another sort of price, like who took the most tests out of everyone, who typed many tests in many different language and a special medal could be made for that particular person?

I am also not sure if this is "botable" or however its called, that a bot starts a test automatically every 60 seconds. So maybe there should be a 20 WPM cap? at least 20 WPM should be typed in 95% of the tests?

I am just giving some ideas, I'm everything but technical when it comes to computers, so I have no idea if this is even possible to manage, I hope I could give my share to the world typing day.

-Lars

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi Larrrs :)
Right now the minimum WPM is already set at 10 WPM (I don't want to set it much higher right now, as this might discourage very slow typists, though it could be changed during the global typing challenge event).
The best way to prevent bots would be some kind of captcha system that would popup after 30 tests or something like this, though this might be something for a future implementation.

I currently plan to create a hall of fame after the event that will have different highscores for different things, haven't mapped out the details yet though :)

Takahiro Sumino

Post by Takahiro Sumino » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 am

Hello! :D
I heard this event from STC Malaysia.

It's a very good idea!
I believe that it would be the memorable event.
I cannot wait joining the event.

In order to promote typing local languages, how about giving the award for the 1st place on each language?

Takahiro Sumino

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Be prepared for cheaters. I would probably use the number of words typed instead of tests taken to avoid people typing only a line or just enough for 10 WPM, waiting till the test is over and repeating this process without much effort. But of course, it's still possible to use a bot to crank out tests for 24 hours (I see you have a potential solution, but that it will not be implemented before this event). Also, you need to check for more than one test per minute.

Anyway, good luck to those of you who participate in an honest way, and hopefully one of you will win!

Edit:

The change in concept below solved most of these potential problems, at least when it comes to the prizes. Very good solution! :)

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm

I just posted the prize pool and the rules for the Global Typing Challenge on Facebook:

1. Prize: Das Keyboard Ultimate S Clicky, sponsored by Das Keyboard
2. - 5. Prize: An exclusive 10FastFingers TShirt (see below)

If one language manages to get more results than the english typing test, I will double the prizepool, so instead of one "Das Keyboard" we will give out two and also 8 T-shirts instead of 4.

What do you have to do to win?
You have to complete at least one typing test during the "Global Typing Challenge"-period, for that you have to be logged in, otherwise its impossible to associate the result with your account.
After the Global Typing Challenge is finished we will pick the winner. So if you take 10 typing tests you will have a higher chance of winning than if you only took 1 test.

I hope the "double the prize pool" thing will be enough for at least one language to overcome the english typing test, we will see :)