Numpad Ninja

10FF news, updates and polls.
christianstrang
Site Admin

Numpad Ninja

Post by christianstrang » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Please check out a new mode "Numpad Ninja": http://10fastfingers.com/pages/lab/numpad-ninja

This is only a test version and I need your feedback to improve upon it:
- is it running smoothly in your browser or not (which browser+version are you using)
- is it fun?
- which features/things are missing?

Thank you for your time!! :)

Kanto-Dream

Re: Numpad Ninja

Post by Kanto-Dream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi,

I'm using Google chrome, and probably the latest version, but I don't know exactly which one.

I runs pretty well, but, sometimes, I don't know if it's due to personal lag or to the applet itself, there is nothing for about 5seconds, and, at a same time, a lot of numbers appear.
Except that, it is very fluid ^^

Then, it is fun, hard at the beginning, but we fast get used to ^^

Finally, I think the game should last longer, something like 1mn, I was really frustrated when the time ran out.
I would also be great if the difficulty increased as the time goes (the maount of number, the number of digits for each number etc....), just to make a real challenge!

I think I don't have more opinion any more, good luck :D

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Chris,

After only a few tries, I find it really fun. I use Opera 12.02 and for now it works fine but I will test further.

The start is a bit difficult because after clicking on the button the test has already begun while the hands are still not well placed on the keyboard. There should be more time to position or that the test can be started by a key.

Apart from that, a little explanation on how points and penalties are counted would be welcome.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Thank you guys for the feedback!!

I runs pretty well, but, sometimes, I don't know if it's due to personal lag or to the applet itself, there is nothing for about 5seconds, and, at a same time, a lot of numbers appear.

I noticed this as well, not sure why this happens, but will try to fix it!

Finally, I think the game should last longer, something like 1mn, I was really frustrated when the time ran out.

I switched it to 1 min just to see if its still fun when it runs twice as long :)

I would also be great if the difficulty increased as the time goes (the maount of number, the number of digits for each number etc....), just to make a real challenge!

I will probably create a few levels, one harder then the previous and users have to unlock each level by reaching a specific score in the previous level.

The start is a bit difficult because after clicking on the button the test has already begun while the hands are still not well placed on the keyboard.

Yeah, I know what you mean, maybe I make a shortcut to start the test, for example "Ctrl + Space" or something like that.

Apart from that, a little explanation on how points and penalties are counted would be welcome.

There is currently no penalty and you get 1 point for 1 number typed. For example: "5142" equal 4 points :)

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:54 am

The test is now longer but after about 30 seconds there is nothing more to type. :p

Personally, I'd rather see how many seconds are left in the test rather than a progress bar (or both).

christianstrang wrote:There is currently no penalty and you get 1 point for 1 number typed. For example: "5142" equal 4 points :)

Ah ok. Yesterday it was "+5" for each number, that's why I didn't understand the final result which was not a multiple of 5.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 am

The test is now longer but after about 30 seconds there is nothing more to type. :p

Damn you are fast, I still had numbers left after 60 seconds ^^ Will adjust it!

Ah ok. Yesterday it was "+5" for each number, that's why I didn't understand the final result which was not a multiple of 5.

You are right, after posting it, I did the test again and saw that the "+5" was hardcoded, it should work now :)

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Even though I think the other one is more fun, here is another prototype for the numpad ninja mode:
http://10fastfingers.com/numpadninja/view

Let me know what you think!

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm

It's empty, is this normal? :p

But anyway, indeed, the first is better and funnier in my opinion. And it's closer to reality. When someone handles and types a large amount of numbers on his computer, most often he does it in a spreadsheet not on a single line.

It's good to bring some novelty compared to the textual speedtests. :)

Edit:

I see that there are more numbers now (I can make bigger scores) but I still have about 20 seconds without anything. xD I think you need to add at least two more times the equivalent of what you've just added.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Ah, fixed the bug, but I think this version is just plain boring compared to the first one :)

How many points do you get in the first version?

Do you think 1 minute might be too long? I think it was more fun with 30 seconds, but I'm not sure.

Kanto-Dream

Post by Kanto-Dream » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I think the second version isn't boring, but not very fun neither ^^

In the first version, my best score is 180.
It's a bit long, yes, but maybe because it's easy ^^
I'm wrong maybe but it was more difficulte (stressful) yesterday, and it's the stress (adrenaline) generated that makes a game fun, to me ^^

And, after all, it's your game, not mine, and I'm not god voice :)