"Practice Text"-Mode Feedback & Suggestion Topic

10FF news, updates and polls.
christianstrang
Site Admin

"Practice Text"-Mode Feedback & Suggestion Topic

Post by christianstrang » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Post your feedback, suggestions & questions about the "Practice Text"-Mode in here :)

qbZ

Re: "Practice Text"-Mode Feedback & Suggestion Topic

Post by qbZ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:20 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jallis

Post by jallis » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm

I wonder, is there going to be some sort of statistics related to your profile page with this mode? Like, will I be able to see how many times I've done a text, or maybe which particular text I've done the most of?
Also, are you going to be "touching the page up" with different colors and stuff like that? You know, to make the site more pretty and all. Because as it is right now, it functions fine, but it looks kinda amateurish. Of course I get that this is an early development stage, so I don't expect it to be to fancy atm.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Hmm.. can't see anything negative, except that the WPM counter and the "Character Progress" should be bigger and in another color/font in my opinion, and that when you finish a text, the last letter is counted only if you put a space after it.

Yeah the UI is still ugly, I want to implement all the feature first and then create the UI, this way I can plan where everything has to go etc. :)

And it should scroll down automatically to the results when we're done typing.

Noted :)

The freestyle mode is really interesting, but you should allow us to choose our keyboard layout..

I build the freestyle mode a while back but haven't improved it yet. Just included it so that I won't forget about it, but will eventually work on it again :)

I wonder, is there going to be some sort of statistics related to your profile page with this mode? Like, will I be able to see how many times I've done a text, or maybe which particular text I've done the most of?

That is something I want to figure out, what are the users interested, what would motivate them to use this mode and what features/stats are mandatory to help users improve their typing ability with this mode :)

Also, are you going to be "touching the page up" with different colors and stuff like that? You know, to make the site more pretty and all. Because as it is right now, it functions fine, but it looks kinda amateurish. Of course I get that this is an early development stage, so I don't expect it to be to fancy atm.

Yes, once I implemented the main features I will pretty them up a bit :)

jallis

Post by jallis » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:36 pm

I just noticed something else that might be worth adding. When you type a word wrong, it should appear in another box outside the text you typed. You know, when you're done with the test, the text shows up. Some of the words are green and some are red. Well, what I feel might be a good change could be that instead of showing it all like that, you could put all the wrong words in a separate box below or above or something like that. It would make it easier for me to see which words I did wrong, because that is mainly what I would care about. Of course, you would still have the old text the way it is already shown, but you would have this as an addition as well.
I hope you get what I mean, haha.

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:55 pm

@Jalis: That sounds like a good idea, will add this soon!

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 am

Hi,

In the list of available texts, would it be possible to see a preview of each text in its entirety, in order to better realize its length?

It would also be useful to add a link to come back to the list of texts when you have finished typing in one of them.

Edit:

In "Hunt and peck" and "Word per minute (WpM)", there is a problem with the quotation marks. The words stuck with quotes are considered as wrong in the results, even if we type them correctly during the test (they are shown in green).

christianstrang
Site Admin

Post by christianstrang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 am

Hi :)
In the list of available texts, would it be possible to see a preview of each text in its entirety, in order to better realize its length?

Would the length of the text be sufficient? For example: 500 characters ?

It would also be useful to add a link to come back to the list of texts when you have finished typing in one of them.

Added it to the list :)

In "Hunt and peck" and "Word per minute (WpM)", there is a problem with the quotation marks. The words stuck with quotes are considered as wrong in the results, even if we type them correctly during the test (they are shown in green).

Currently trying to fix it, thank you for reporting the issue!

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:23 pm

christianstrang wrote:Would the length of the text be sufficient? For example: 500 characters ?

It's better than nothing, but I really think a preview would be more meaningful. This would allow to make our choice on the text list without having to take a look at each of them one by one.

christianstrang wrote:Added it to the list :)

Where is it? I don't see it. xD

jallis

Post by jallis » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm

I think he may have meant list as in his own list of things to do. I don't know for sure though, but I figure that's why.