Best typist in each language

Various rankings specific to 10FF.
Linsk

Re: Best typist in each language

Post by Linsk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 am

Hm ... I think it's most likely a bug for both of you. When you took hundreds of tests, you're normally able to feel if you're making ​​a good run or not, and you know if you're close to beat a record or not, and even about how much you will get (within an range from 5 to 10 WPM).

Schollie went from a max of 200 to 212 WPM. And the last Suandi's record was 163 WPM. In both cases, it makes a sudden jump of about 10 WPM. You both say that you were very surprised by your record and consider the possibility that it's not real, which is troubling.

When you beat a personal best, usually this is done in a gradual and by step-downs way, not by jumping from 10 WPM to 10 WPM. I'm not saying that such a jump is impossible, but in my case, I made thousands of tests, and in 2-3 years (since I use 10FF), I have never seen such an increase for any typist, except when bugs or cheating.

When you reach a high score, even if you can't reproduce it immediately, usually your average becomes better than it was before this record. If you look at the graph of Suandi and Schollie, you can see a clear peak, with completely different scores before and after this peak, and no real increase in average.

That looks like either a cheat or a bug. Since this problem has happened to me and others typists (especially these last days and weeks), sometimes with even greater differences, I would tend to the bug.

So sorry guys, I won't update the topic for now, but I made ​​a screenshot of your records, just in case. I hope you understand.

Schollie

Post by Schollie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

I think it is a bit harder to predict what your WPM will be when you’re typing at a really high speed (or at least it is for me). For example, taking my average “gross” (without correction for mistakes) typing speed of about 1000 characters per minute (it will be a lot higher on good runs), if I pause for one second for whatever reason (e.g. correcting a mistake), I will have typed 16 characters or about 3 words less than I would have if I hadn’t paused. It’s not always easy to keep track of the amount of words I typed incorrectly, and it’s even harder to keep track of (all) these pauses.

That being said, I suppose it is indeed possible that is was a bug, although I still don’t think that this was the case. I’m confident that I’m capable of matching and even exceeding 212 WPM in the future. In my last video of 200 WPM, I had a “gross” typing speed of 1059 characters per minute, so if I could repeat that run without any mistakes I would effectively get 212 WPM. Or if I type just a little faster (say 1100 cpm, a number I could reach in a run without any hesitations), then I can even afford to make some mistakes. This was the case with my record: I had about 1100 cpm, with 8 wrong words (I thought I had made a lot more mistakes).

But I do understand your choice not to update the topic for now. I’ll keep making fewer mistakes over time, and by the time I get my hands on a video camera, I’ll upload some definite proof.

Bucko

Post by Bucko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Schollie I wouldn't bother, It's all "I don't think", "normally" or "usually" or other non-factual words, It's all guess and games.

Ultimately your scores are consistent and you do similar/the same as to myself, the word Indian and Sometimes always get me, If I'm typing flat out and "sometimes" comes up after a D-rep word like Different, I type stromines, and in that one mistake I've potentially lost about 6 words, this can happen multiple times in 1 go which is why WPM is so inconsistent, you can average around the same number for ages but one decent run and you gain an incredible amount of WPM.

Need new and/or different mods on this site, a guessing moderator deciding what is and is not fit based on personal judgement is borderline pointless.

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bucko

Post by Bucko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm not telling you to do anything, I simply put a complaint forwards as prompted - Benefit of the doubt wouldn't go a miss seeing as you don't have any tech to help you, If you took the time to at-least watch a suspect and see the figures that follow you would have a better understanding than panicking and removing it a.s.a.p, which is what you did to mine.

on the comment re: removing my account, just like the above, you cannot use this as any sort of argument which is what I see you guys are trying to enforce , the account was left up all day for anyone's viewing (of which you/meaning admin - Did view), and any tests I took following where completely disregarded as they where on the same wavelength - I don't care about the account, and I don't care about the stats as I can just re-do a test, but the fact you guys argue a point which is so absurdly wrong is what keeps me involved on this thread.

You attempt to create a competitive typing environment to try improve peoples typing speed, yet you state in basic terms "If he can achieve this he will simply do it again", that sounds right to you? so next time someone gets a one-off decent run on the 24hour board you will simply ban them and advise "simply do it again to prove legitimacy".

I can admit the only thing pathetic here is the fact I feel compelled to reply, ..christ

Impermanence

Post by Impermanence » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Schollie wrote:I think it is a bit harder to predict what your WPM will be when you’re typing at a really high speed (or at least it is for me). For example, taking my average “gross” (without correction for mistakes) typing speed of about 1000 characters per minute (it will be a lot higher on good runs), if I pause for one second for whatever reason (e.g. correcting a mistake), I will have typed 16 characters or about 3 words less than I would have if I hadn’t paused. It’s not always easy to keep track of the amount of words I typed incorrectly, and it’s even harder to keep track of (all) these pauses.

That being said, I suppose it is indeed possible that is was a bug, although I still don’t think that this was the case. I’m confident that I’m capable of matching and even exceeding 212 WPM in the future. In my last video of 200 WPM, I had a “gross” typing speed of 1059 characters per minute, so if I could repeat that run without any mistakes I would effectively get 212 WPM. Or if I type just a little faster (say 1100 cpm, a number I could reach in a run without any hesitations), then I can even afford to make some mistakes. This was the case with my record: I had about 1100 cpm, with 8 wrong words (I thought I had made a lot more mistakes).

But I do understand your choice not to update the topic for now. I’ll keep making fewer mistakes over time, and by the time I get my hands on a video camera, I’ll upload some definite proof.

Don't worry Schollie, you'll get the video in the future :) You can only improve, so it shouldn't be too long before you get a great run!

You'll need 18 keystrokes per second (1080 kpm) with no more than 20 keystroke errors to get 212 WPM (1060 kpm).
A perfect 18 kps run = 216 WPM
A perfect 17 kps run = 204 WPM
A perfect 16 kps run = 192 WPM
A perfect 15 kps run = 180 WPM
A perfect 14 kps run = 168 WPM
A perfect 13 kps run = 156 WPM

An extra press every second can make so much of a difference!

Schollie

Post by Schollie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks :) yeah, it's crazy how much of a difference one extra press every second makes! I also noticed that my performance sometimes varies quite a bit from one day to the next, or even depending on the moment of the day: I'm a lot faster in the afternoon than I am in the morning. Also, I notice a definite improvement in accuracy after drinking two cups of coffee. I wonder if this could be considered "cheating"? :lol:

SlowMotion

Post by SlowMotion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am

Hi!

What about Aşkın Celal 200 wpm? :D

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Arabic, Hungarian, Indonesian and Turkish updated. ;)

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 am

English updated!