Can't Type In Vietnam

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Linsk

Re: Can't Type In Vietnam

Post by Linsk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:28 pm

Ok, so how do you type them? (Those Vietnamese special char which don't work.) What key combination, in what order?

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:10 am

Hehe, nice video KarmaMistubisHi. I actually can't get it to work either. Changed keyboard layout to Vietnamese, but whenever there is a special character needed, the word is marked as red and wrong even though it it correctly written, just as in the video. Typing the letter first, then the special character(s).

PS: Linsk, I think I saw you got 102 WPM in a Vietnamese competition a few days ago. Good stuff!

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:26 pm

I remember trying the Vietnamese layout available in Windows too. I tried with Opera, Chrome, Firefox, and it wasn't working in any of the three, except for special characters directly accessible with a single key (as we can see in the video).

I think the problem is that this layout adds the accents after the letters (while usually a normal dead key is always typed before the accented character). I don't know why, but it seems that 10FF doesn't support this input method and therefore doesn't recognize an accent that was added to the letter, after typing this letter.

To be able to type in Vietnamese on 10FF, you need a layout that adds accents before typing the letters, so that the characters appear in their entirety at once.

Several possible solutions:
- Edit or create your layout with an appropriate keyboard layout creator ;
- Use a software which allows you to define a combination of keys to enter any character ;
- Or use UniKey, which works fine on 10FF (actually this software adds the accent after the letter, but instead of adding it to the letter, it automatically erases the letter and replaces it with the accented character, which explains why most Vietnamese have a lot of corrections).

Yes, thanks ZappX. Vietnamese is definitely one of the most difficult languages I ever typed. :shock:

KarmaMistubisHi

Post by KarmaMistubisHi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I use the international USA Windows One...

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:03 pm

You can't type directly Vietnamese characters with the US layout. So I don't understand how you type them ... :?: