Weird ranking error in competition?

Help and information regarding the 10FF website.
Brokenmind

Weird ranking error in competition?

Post by Brokenmind » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:37 am

Hi all,

first of all, I don't want to complain about anything, but the following competition (against a very fast other typer and a fierce competition indeed :D ) has an unexpected result:

http://10fastfingers.com/competition/57b383ae8624f/

What happened?
  1. I ranked 1st, the other guy overtook me and got 1st, I then reached just as many KPM as he did and got placed 1st again and above him (why is that?)
  2. The other guy did some more tests and while not getting placed first as shown in the pic, still won the competition (why is that?)

So if someone could enlighten me about what weird black magic is used for ranking here (maybe even a bug?), that would be great :lol:

Greetings,
Brokenmind
_________.../\¯¯¯\/\¯¯¯\
__________/_.\___\-\___\
__________\_./.__/_/___/
_________...\/_/\¯\/___/
_________....../...\___\
_________......\.../___/
at last!_______-\/___/_______.Typing profile on 10ff

toddhicks209

Re: Weird ranking error in competition?

Post by toddhicks209 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 am

There is a forum topic here pertaining to site bugs and there's another one that pertains to reporting cheaters although I don't know if anyone cheated in your case.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

Brokenmind

Post by Brokenmind » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:56 am

I'm not sure if it's a bug or maybe just a connection error (which would be much harder to find), but I kind of forgot the bug thread. If a moderator wants to move this post there, please do it :oops:

Edit: I have witnessed this place switching before, so I don't think that this is cheating... but who knows?
_________.../\¯¯¯\/\¯¯¯\
__________/_.\___\-\___\
__________\_./.__/_/___/
_________...\/_/\¯\/___/
_________....../...\___\
_________......\.../___/

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:57 am

Hello Brokenmind,

It's not a bug.
As far as I know, when two competitors have the same WPM and CPM, the winner is the one with the most correct words. If this number is the same, then the winner is the one with the least wrong words. And if this number is the same again, well ... sadly this case is not yet processed by the site.

Now let's take a look at your competition. Here are your results of you and Kritzelman:

Kritzelman: 155 WPM | 774 CPM | 142 correct words | 3 wrong words | 3 corrections | 2016-08-17 23:05:26
Brokenmind: 155 WPM | 774 CPM | 142 correct words | 3 wrong words | 0 corrections | 2016-08-17 23:07:31

You should have been the winner since you have fewer corrections. But like I said previously, this case of "same WPM/CPM/correct/wrong" is not treated for now. Therefore, in this case it seems that the winner is the first to have recorded the result (this is to be confirmed).

Edit: Seeing you in the first place is misleading because either before or after the end of the competition, this place can change sometimes if you reload the page.

Brokenmind

Post by Brokenmind » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:39 am

Okay, I assumed something along these lines, but it's always better to see it confirmed. Maybe you could include the corrections some time, but as you said, this case (almost) never occurs, so I will simply consider myself (un)lucky enough to have gotten it :lol:

Also good to know that the first place can be misleading if all numbers are the same. Thanks for clarifying!
_________.../\¯¯¯\/\¯¯¯\
__________/_.\___\-\___\
__________\_./.__/_/___/
_________...\/_/\¯\/___/
_________....../...\___\
_________......\.../___/

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:16 pm

You're welcome. ;)

Actually, this case is quite common for a long time. I contacted the admin 3 years ago to suggest him to handle all possible cases in the rankings (and therefore to include corrections too).
Before that, the CPM was not even taken into account, the only data considered was the WPM (many typists lost victories because of that).
Then the admin has corrected things, following my request, but it seems that he chose not to go up to take into account corrections for now.

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Linsk wrote:Therefore, in this case it seems that the winner is the first to have recorded the result (this is to be confirmed).

Edit: Seeing you in the first place is misleading because either before or after the end of the competition, this place can change sometimes if you reload the page.

As it stands now when the two best typists end up with the same CPM and the same number of wrong words, the decision of who's the winner is completely random. That's also why the first place finisher frequently changes when reloading the competition.

Ideally, as you explained, there should be additional rules when splitting CPM, even though these cases are quite rare:

With equal CPM the typist with the least wrong words wins. If there is also an equal number of wrong words, the typist with the least number of corrections wins. If both typists have an equal number of wrong words and corrections the first one who enters the competition wins.