Typing tips

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
toddhicks209

Re: Typing tips

Post by toddhicks209 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:01 am

Keeping your wrists parallel to the table/desk, having good posture and taking frequent breaks from typing also help reduce wrist stress.
Todd Hicks provides tips on typing. http://sdinst.blogspot.com

snehakaur

How to increase speed of typing ?

Post by snehakaur » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 am

How to increase speed of typing ?

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 am

There are many ways to increase typing speed, with some of them discussed in this thread.

rehfore

some specifc questions about very fast typing

Post by rehfore » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello,

I am curently trying to get over 90-100 wpm and i therefore have some specific questions:

- Are people at that speed use space always with the thumb that is not attached to the hand which typed the last letter? So there is no delay in using it? (i feel very slow with my spacebar so i am wondering what i am doing wrong)
EDIT: another theorie is, to use the hand opposite to the side on which the first letter of the next word is.
- I've heard that if you want to type fast long time periods you need to extend your fingers and rather move your hand instead of moving and bending your fingers, is that something you do?
- If you do, do you type with your elbows in the air or are they resting on the table?
- Do you use your left shift key occaisonlly to write an uppercase letter on the left side of the keyboard vice versa?
- Also, do you need to sometimes against the system and type a letter from the left side with the right hand in order to be faster and vice versa?

Thats pretty much all i can think of at the time, hopefully there are some verterans who can awnser these, thanks.

gabrielsebben

Re: some specifc questions about very fast typing

Post by gabrielsebben » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm

rehfore wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 pm
Hello,

I am curently trying to get over 90-100 wpm and i therefore have some specific questions:

- Are people at that speed use space always with the thumb that is not attached to the hand which typed the last letter? So there is no delay in using it? (i feel very slow with my spacebar so i am wondering what i am doing wrong)
EDIT: another theorie is, to use the hand opposite to the side on which the first letter of the next word is.
- I've heard that if you want to type fast long time periods you need to extend your fingers and rather move your hand instead of moving and bending your fingers, is that something you do?
- If you do, do you type with your elbows in the air or are they resting on the table?
- Do you use your left shift key occaisonlly to write an uppercase letter on the left side of the keyboard vice versa?
- Also, do you need to sometimes against the system and type a letter from the left side with the right hand in order to be faster and vice versa?

Thats pretty much all i can think of at the time, hopefully there are some verterans who can awnser these, thanks.
Hello rehfore! I don't speak english very well, so I'll try to help you with some of this questions. My name is Gabriel and I'm a brazilian typist. My high score is 202wpm in my mother-tongue and an average of 160~170wpm in other languages. Also, I work as a transcriber.

1. In my opinion, the right one, to enligsh and the latin languages, is to use the right thumb. Although I, in particular, use the left one.
2. Well, I believe that is particular. This depends on the language, the degree of difficulty of the words, the accentuation... But I disagree with this sentence. In my conception, the better way is keep your hands and move just your fingers.
3. Again, this is very particular. Sean Wrona, one of the best typists in this website, likes to type lying down on his bed. When I'm training, I usually start the test with my elbows on the table; so, on 30 seconds, I raise them and then increase my speed considerably.
4. I always use the left shift-key, regardless of the word.
5. I don't believe this is efficient. But, are some tricks we can do to improve our average speed with some practice: In portuguese, we have one word called "exemplo" (example, in english) and many brazilian typists have problems with it because the proximity between the E, the X and the E again, at high speed, makes us miss. So, one alternative that I found is to press the E with my middle finger, the X with my forefinger and the E again with my middle finger. Well, to do it, I need to move my left hand (and, mainly, my left elbow) leftmost, almost spinning my left hand.

I hope I have been able to clarify some of your doubts. ;)

rehfore

Post by rehfore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks for clarifing a bit. I just realized through your comment, that it is logical to learn faster typing by looking at the words and learning their patterns rather then just getting faster. I allready changed my pattern for the word "gegen" in my language, don't know why i didn't came to that conclusion earlier.

LLUpl

8 vs 10 fingers

Post by LLUpl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm from Poland and my English isn't best, but I hope we we will be able to understand each other.
But please - be patient for me and don't be too eloquent.

It's easy for my hands to type 100+ WPM and my personal best is between 110-115 WPM.
I'm using 8 fingers only and the smallest finger:
- from left hand occasionally to type Tab/CapsLock/Shift etc. (occasionally cause sometimes I use another finger to type Tab/Caps etc.),
- from right hand to type Enter/Shift/"/" etc.

I want to improve my skill in fast and correct typing.
I dream about 130+ WPM.
I'm now thinking about using my 10 fingers as its shown here: http://imgur.com/XmCdENj

What do you think?
Can you help me?

Notice that the best method is that method which is the best for you. The most comfortable method is the best method also.

Vosazun

Post by Vosazun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am

Hey people,

Been here for a long time, and I am sort of feeling at an impasse. I reach around 130-140 WPM on the average at the moment, and want to push myself further. I'm left-handed and I usually type with all of my fingers from my left hand, but only one or two fingers from my right hand.

I feel like I am restricting myself, but I'm not sure how to get rid of this habit that I have been building up over well over fifteen years. I'm not sure why I type like this, but I feel confident that I would be able to reach much higher a much higher WPM if I was able to utilize all of my fingers somehow.

Tips would be appreciated.

toddhicks209

Post by toddhicks209 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 am

Practice using all fingers on both hands simultaneously, with your thumbs used to hit the space key. Once you do this long enough, it will become natural.

ethereal

Post by ethereal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Vosazun wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am
Hey people,

Been here for a long time, and I am sort of feeling at an impasse. I reach around 130-140 WPM on the average at the moment, and want to push myself further. I'm left-handed and I usually type with all of my fingers from my left hand, but only one or two fingers from my right hand.

I feel like I am restricting myself, but I'm not sure how to get rid of this habit that I have been building up over well over fifteen years. I'm not sure why I type like this, but I feel confident that I would be able to reach much higher a much higher WPM if I was able to utilize all of my fingers somehow.

Tips would be appreciated.
I've been facing a similar set of circumstances; I average around 120wpm, but for my entire life I've used solely my index fingers for the character keys. I'd just suggest creating a new account to practice touch typing, prioritizing accuracy above speed. That way you aren't pressured into retaining your previous speed, compromising technique.