FAQ - frequently asked questions
If you have a question which is not mentioned here, please contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Login not working
Have you tried to login with a 1-click-login provider like "Google"? Maybe you used this to create your account and just forgot about it. If this doesn't work, please try the password recovery, it might take a while for the email to arrive. If this also doesn't work or the email doesn't arrive, please contact me.
My results are not visible in the competition
You probably have to unlock your result by completing the anti-cheat-test. At the top of the page your should see 'notifications', clicking on it you will be able to participate in an anti-cheat-test.
WPM - words per minute
WPM-calculation is based on the following calculation: 5 keystrokes equal 1 WPM, if you don't believe me, check Wikipedia about Words per minute :)
What is a keystroke?
Every key you hit on the keyboard to type a letter is one keystroke. The calculation also considers if you have to type uppercase letters or language specific letters who need 2 keystrokes to be typed (for example "A"). For example "quick" needs 5 keystrokes whereas "America" needs 8 keystrokes.
Why is my score not saved (sometimes)?
If you have a slow computer or doing a lot of things simultaneously on your computer, the 60-second timer might be slowed down. This might result in a situation were you instead of having 60 seconds, you actually have 70 seonds to type. The server detects this as a cheat attempt (even though it might just be a slow computer or something related to this) and doesn't save the score in this case. You can fix this by closing all of your running programs and every tab in your browser.
My scores over 120 WPM are not visible
If you receive a result over 120 WPM you have to unlock it with an anti-cheat-test. Click on the speech bubble at the top of the site to check for notifications.
Translation - How can I help?
If you would like to help translate 10FastFingers into your language, please take a look at the translation page: For translations please take a look at the translation page
Where is my achievement?
After you fullfilled the requirements for the achievement, please give it up to 5 minutes for the achievement to be unlocked.
How do you know which language specific characters need more than 1 keystroke?
- All languages: all uppercase letters (ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ)
- 2 keystrokes: àèò éíóú ïü
- 3 keystrokes: ÀÈÒ ÉÍÓÚ ÏÜ
- Chinese and Japanese: I currently just quintuple the characters. For example: "明年" will count as 10 keystrokes.
- 2 keystrokes: ú ó (´ + letter)
- 3 keystrokes: ň ť ď (shift + ˇ, letter)
- 3 keystrokes: Á Í É Ú Ó (´, shift + letter)
- 4 keystrokes: Ě Š Č Ř Ž Ý Ň Ť Ď (shift + ˇ, shift + letter)
- Danish: Æ Ø Å (2 keystrokes)
- Dutch: é (2 keystrokes)
- Esperanto: ĉ ŭ ŝ ĝ ĵ ĥ (2 keystrokes)
- 2 keystrokes: â ê î ô û (^ + a e i o u)
- 3 keystrokes: Â Ê Î Ô Û (^ + shift + a e i o u) ä ë ï ü ÿ (shift + ¨ + a e i u y) Ä Ë Ï Ü (shift remaining pressed + ¨ + a e i u)
- 4 keystrokes: À È Ù (Alt Gr + ` + shift + a e u), Ç = Alt + 128 = 4 keystrokes, É = Alt + 144 = 4 keystrokes
- Œ = Alt + 0140 = 5 keystrokes œ = Alt + 0156 = 5 keystrokes Ÿ = Alt + 0159 = 5 keystrokes
- German: Ä Ö Ü
- 2 keystrokes: ά ή ί ώ ό ύ έ Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω
- 3 keystrokes: ϊ ϋ ΐ ΰ Ά Ή Ί Ώ Ό Ύ Έ
- 4 keystrokes: Ϊ Ϋ
- 2 keystrokes: é,ú,í,ó,á,ý (^ + e u i o a y)
- 3 keystrokes: É,Ý,Ú,Í,Ó,Á (^ + shift + e y u i a)
- Italian: é
- Korean: Each character counts as 3 Keystrokes. This isn't accurate but there is currently no better system to determine the correct keystroke count.
- Latvian: ē ū ī ā š ģ ķ ļ ž č ņ (2 keystrokes)
- Lithuanian: ą č ę ė į š ų ū ž (2 keystrokes)
- Persian:ژ آ ء ّ َ ُ ِ
- Polish: ą ć ę ł ń ó ś ź ż
- Portuguese: ã õ á é í ó ú (2 keystrokes), à â ê î ô û (3 keystrokes)
- Romanian: ă â î ș ț
- Spanish: á é í ó ú
- Turkish: Ö Ü Ç Ş Ğ İ
- Vietnamese: ă â á à ạ ả ã đ é è ẻ ẽ ẹ ê í ì ỉ ĩ ị ô ơ ó ò ỏ õ ọ ư ú ù ủ ũ ụ ý ỳ ỷ ỹ ỵ (2 keystrokes), ắ ằ ặ ẳ ẵ ấ ầ ậ ẩ ẫ ế ề ể ễ ệ ố ồ ổ ỗ ộ ớ ờ ở ỡ ợ ứ ừ ử ữ ự (3 keystrokes)
If your language is missing specific "2-keystroke"-characters, please let me know: email@example.com
My iPad auto-capitalizes the first character of every word
You can deactivate this behaviour, please follow this instruction: How to Make an iPad Stop Typing Initial Caps
What is the average wpm of the population
The average WPM on 10fastfingers is 42 WPM. This number is extracted from over 14 million tests, spread out over 41 languages.
All time Highscore
You may ask: "Why is there no highscore older than 1 day?" There are a few cheaters who use the typing test to satisfy some weird sense of accomplishment by cheating. Even though I try to make it harder for cheaters, its not impossible (and probably not really difficult if you know a little bit about scripts, etc.). If there were an all time highscore, it would just be populated by those individuals and thats why I decided against such a list, sorry!
How is the accuracy calculated?
For the calculation of accuracy (used in the text practice mode) the amount of mistakes made and the number of corrections used is taken into consideration.
Imagine a text requiring exactly 500 keystrokes. There are 4 possible cases:
- 0 wrong word and 0 correction: 500 correct entries out of 500 = 500/500 * 100 = 100% accuracy.
- 0 wrong word and corrections: e.g. 500 correct entries and 25 corrections = 500/(500+25) * 100 = 95,23% accuracy.
- Wrong words and 0 correction: e.g. 10 wrong words worth 450 correct entries out of 500 = 450/500 * 100 = 90% accuracy.
- Wrong words and corrections: e.g. 10 wrong words worth 450 correct entries out of 500 and 25 corrections = 450/(500+25) = 85,71% accuracy.
How are the score/points in the Text Practice Mode calculated?
Everytime you complete a text you get a score, here is how it is calculated:
- The number of correct keystrokes is multiplied with the accuracy, for example: 500 (correct keystrokes) * 1.0 (100% accuracy) = 500 (acc_points)
- This value (acc_points) is now multiplied with the milliseconds needed divided by 60000 milliseconds. Lets say it tooks us 60 seconds to get 500 correct keystrokes: 500 / (60000 / 60000) = 500 (acc_time_points).
This calculation integrates the time into our score, the faster you type correct and accurate, the higher your score.
- This value (acc_time_points) is now multiplied by all keystrokes the text consisted of divided by 500. Lets say the whole text consisted of 500 keystrokes: 500 * (500 / 500) = 500 (acc_time_length_points).
This last step will give longer texts an edge over very short texts (below 500 keystrokes). This is needed or otherwise very short texts would be the best way to gather points.
Here is another calculation, this time with slightly different values:
500 * 0.95 = 475
475 / (62500 / 60000) = 456
456 * (500 / 500) = 456 points
and one more:
42 * 1.0 = 42
42 / (5000 / 60000) = 504
504 * (42 / 500) = 42 points
How can I delete my account?
Log into your account, go to your profile page, click on 'Settings' and at the bottom you will find a 'Delete Account' Button. Be aware that once your account has been deleted, it can't be restored and you have to create a new one.